BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

With the advice of the members here on the forum, I picked up my first BMW motorcycle last Friday. I am glad I got it and I really love it.

I have some observations related to the firmware debate. I think I have 6.0 because the dealer assured me that it has the latest required updates, and that they won't force 7.0 onto it, even though I asked them to. I do hear the noise out of the exhaust that some people are referring to as a backfire, I don't think it is though. It sounds like a "bloop" type noise or maybe a "putt" noise. I can reliably make the bike do it by downshifting to second or first and let the engine slow the bike down to 10 mph or so. To me it doesn't really sound abnormal.

Also, a few times now I have experienced a power fluctuation when accelerating in first from a stop. It happens about 1 second after I start going, and is the only problem that I'm unhappy about on the bike. I'm thinking that it could be related to the fuel I am using, here in San Diego, 91 octane is the highest commonly available. I know that the manual recommends 98, or 95 at the lowest, but I don't know where I can get that here in San Diego. If anyone knows where I can get it I'd appreciate the information.

Otherwise, I am extremely happy with the bike and it's also a chick magnet.

Here are some photos I took this morning.

http://www.err0neous.org/gallery/k1200s/

·
Registered
12 Posts
err0neous said:
Hello,

Also, a few times now I have experienced a power fluctuation when accelerating in first from a stop. It happens about 1 second after I start going, and is the only problem that I'm unhappy about on the bike. I'm thinking that it could be related to the fuel I am using, here in San Diego, 91 octane is the highest commonly available. I know that the manual recommends 98, or 95 at the lowest, but I don't know where I can get that here in San Diego. If anyone knows where I can get it I'd appreciate the information.

ErrOneous,

In europe, they use a different Octane rating for the fuel as opposed to ours. They use Research Octane, which is higher than the USA's fuel. We (The USA) uses an average of research and method, or R + M. So, from what I understand, Octane ratings of 91 to 93 of R & M are recommened for our bikes in the USA.

We have 93 in Texas, but 91 in higher altitude areas, such as West Texas around Lubbock and also in parts of Oklahoma.

If you look at the fine print listed under the octane number you will see the R + M.

Good Luck and congrats on the bike.

Regards, Michael...

·
Registered
161 Posts
when its time for your 600 mile service complain to the service writer about the driveability issues . ask them to attach the scanner .

I had a problem with cold starts , It took three times starting for the bike to idle when cold . Th bike did set two codes concerning the issue and the dealer performed the software upgrade. The start issue is gone.

I forgot to add there was a recall for the front abs sensor on the silver forked bikes and a wiring reroute that showed up when they checked the vin. I have the black framed bike so the abs sensor did not require replacement

·
Registered
22 Posts
New Ride

Great looking bike .... congrats on your new ride. It just happens to be the same color as mine so I might be a tad biased. Enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts