BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally decided on a K1200S after much consideration. This is my first post here but Ive reading a lot of info on this forum. The KS is an 06 with ESA, ABS, Heated grip, On board comp and some other options. I will be paying $16,500 for the bke. The bike also came with the Nav111 and the rear bags. I was wondering if $16500 was a good price to pay.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Congrats on the new machine, you would love the bike.

Is this out the door price means all taxes and fees included or the base price?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
531 Posts
if you've already purchased the bike what's the point in asking if you got a good deal or not. if you haven't purchased the bike 16,500 is a decent price especially considering you got the bags and GPS for free. MSRP on the 2006 "S" with all the options you mentioned minus the bags/GPS is 17,995 so right off the bat you said 1500. the bags run around 700 bucks and i think the gps goes for above a grand so yes you made out well. i paid 17K for my 2006 blue/white "S" with all the goodies and that was before they added free bags and gps. enjoy the ride

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All

$16,300 was the final price out the door. The only thing I have to pay is sales tax.

I really thing I will enjoy it. I recently sold my Honda VFR that I like a lot. I think the VFR and the K1200s are very similar.

Thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
trfnj74 said:
Thanks All

$16,300 was the final price out the door. The only thing I have to pay is sales tax.

I really thing I will enjoy it. I recently sold my Honda VFR that I like a lot. I think the VFR and the K1200s are very similar.

Thanks again
To me, 'out the door' means just that. How much $$ do you have to hand over to ride it home.

So it is more like $18k (give or take, depending upon the sales tax rate in your city and registration costs).

Are the GPS and Bags installed already, or additional cost? Both are easy to do. My dealer installed the bags free when they uncrated it, and they would have done the same on the GPS, but I had a broken foot, so they UPS'd it to me, and I installed it myself.

Congrats on the bike.

Lots of fun.

ken

·
Registered
26 Posts
trfnj74 said:
Thanks All

Thanks again
Then it is not OUT THE DOOR. OTD in PA would be $16.6k + 6%.
OTD as far as I know means key in the ignition you riding away!

As far as VFR and K12S being very similar.... YEah !
I-4 vs. V-4
1200 vs. 800
ESA vs 20th Century suspension.
Computerized valve check vs. V-Tech fiasco
Over 150bhp vs. ~100bhp
And on and on...

If you tell me a CBR1100XX.... closer although not there. but a VFR? C'mon ! :hysterica

Oh, yeah, Enjoy you K12S !!! :ricky

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Jeez, take it easy, elefant. He already corrected himself "Out the door price was $17115.00." You sound like my old english teacher.

Personally, especially if it's a used '06, if you can wait the dealer out a little, you could get a better deal. If it's a new '06, i don't know. But make sure the recall on the ABS brakes was done or will be done. Negotiate to change the final drive after first service. I paid 11,800 pre-sales tax, out to door price ;) , for a 3500-mile k1200R without ABS, ESA, but with heated grips.

·
Registered
149 Posts
trfnj74 said:
...I recently sold my Honda VFR that I like a lot. I think the VFR and the K1200s are very similar...
Many people consider these bikes vaguely similar in certain respects: ergonomics, sporty but general-purpose orientation, ABS brakes, available factory luggage, etc. The K1200S has a lot more power.

If you liked your VFR, you'll love the K1200S.

I wish Honda would make an updated larger VFR to compete more directly with the KS, but alas it seems they've abdicated that market segment.

·
Registered
147 Posts
trfnj74 said:
Thanks All

Thanks again
You'll like it. I'm a former VFR and XX owner too and while the S is a very different animal from a specifications standpoint, the VFR and K1200S do feel similar. One thing I really like about the S is that BMW managed to keep the bike narrow like a V-4 even though it has an across the frame in-line engine.

Just think of the S as a VFR, with a lot more power.

Enjoy! :tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
trfnj74 said:
I was wondering if $16500 was a good price to pay.
The real question is not if that was a good price but rather if you have enough $$$ left for all the cool aftermarket parts...? :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
trfnj74 said:
ksann

Out the door price was $17115.00 and yes the bags and the Nav3 are both installed.
Damn, cost of living is incredible over there.

Here (Los Angeles), that $16,300 would end up $18,011 otd.

I think that you did decently.

I paid a bit more (on September 1st), but it was a bit convoluted because they also put the centerstand on, and my bike is a two-tone (Bumble Bee).

But, as another member so accurately said, do you have enough left for the farkels?
I started ordering that night.....

Enjoy.

ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I have money left over to get some farkels. I bought the bike out right. Like I said before I recently sold my VFR but I also sold my 05 Kawa Mean Streak due to now Ex-wife issues(She's no longer an issue). So I now need to start looking for some accessories.
Yes I agree that the VFR and KS have different specs but their ride is similar thats why I got the KS. Honda made a big mistake no changing the VFR this year, but I glad they dudnt becasue I like KS alot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
way to go!

Congratulations on getting what I consider to be the best all-around bike on the market. Track it to learn it asap, have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awaiting delivery of new K1200s

Hi Guys!

This is my first post here after spending several weeks reading what you all had to say about the K1200s. Finally decided to buy an 06 with ESA, computer, bags, centre stand and all. Trouble is, here in Alberta right now, it is -23 Celsius with a foot of snow so I won't be able to ride until the Spring. I'm planning a trip to Arizona in early March hauling the bike down in my truck.
Can't wait to see how it compares with my ZZR1200!

Anyway, 'til then I'll have to be content with adding a hugger and LEDS etc.

Cheers!

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
I was considering VFR because of it's great look and sound but chose GT. Just did not like the V-Tech.
Can't realise how could VFR and K12S be similar? Do you mean that both of them have two wheels? And throttle on the right side?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts