BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "fell" into a deal I couldn't refuse. No, no Mafia involved in this deal, I discovered a KRS on eBay while doing a search for a friend who had wrecked theirs last year. No sooner did I send him the link than I got their reply stating he'd just cut a deal on a used KGT and suggested I go after the bike. So I did and here she is, an '04 with just over 1200 miles on the clock. She replaces a sweet K1 I sold the day after I won the eBay auction:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
e-bay to all

Be very careful. I lost $5000.00 on a too good to be true deal on e-Bay. Long story short. A hacker cut in between me and the real seller and I did not know it. Bye-Bye $5000.00. E-bay will pass the buck, and Square-Trade wil pass the buck, and you get F#@*. Nobody will listen to you, it's always your fault. Heck, even the local police here scolded me for being stoopid and said sorry for your luck. I should have been more careful.
Do not give your personal ID to anyone. Do not send cash, period. If they don't take Pay-Pal, run.....fast. I do hope it works for you. Please contact me with any questions you may have if the deal starts to make you scratch your head in any way. I will help anyone not make the same mistake I did.

Have a great ride.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats,

I haven't seen too many K1s around here. What color was it?
Hope you enjoy the new ride. See ya on the road.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eBay warning

cobbler said:
Be very careful. I lost $5000.00 on a too good to be true deal on e-Bay.......... Have a great ride.
Thanks for the advice, Cobbler. This was my second MC auction win on eBay and it went better than the one I bought for $700. The entire transaction went well, I paid a deposit, drove to the owner's home, and picked it up with no hassles. Was I concerned? Yes, but it's a done deal now. The photo you see is my KRS in MY messy garage. My sweet Duc 907IE is behind it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats - great bike, and great choice in colors! It is a real head turner. You gotta do sumpin about those yeller turn signals though. :)

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K1DUDE said:
Congrats,

I haven't seen too many K1s around here. What color was it?
Hope you enjoy the new ride. See ya on the road.
You won't see many anywhere. BMW built 6921 and shipped about 675 K1's to the U.S. between 1989 and 1993. Of those sent here a little over 400 still exist. This one was mine:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tsienville said:
..... You gotta do sumpin about those yeller turn signals though. :)
Done did, my friend. In fact, I did the switchout last night AND added the handguard protectors in blue. She's real purty now! Tonight she's getting XM radio using a RAM mount kit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
spanky said:
Done did, my friend. In fact, I did the switchout last night AND added the handguard protectors in blue. She's real purty now! Tonight she's getting XM radio using a RAM mount kit.
Very cool! I did the blue handguards on mine also, and the BMW sport tinted windscreen. Truthfully, I fully copy-catted Gareth's bike (on this board). He had a sharp setup, so I couldn't resist. These bikes are a crazy addiction!

Here's a pic of his bike which is a twin to mine (and now almost a twin to yours, ha!).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tsienville said:
Very cool! I did the blue handguards on mine also, and the BMW sport tinted windscreen. Truthfully, I fully copy-catted Gareth's bike (on this board). He had a sharp setup, so I couldn't resist. These bikes are a crazy addiction!

Here's a pic of his bike which is a twin to mine (and now almost a twin to yours, ha!).
This photo is giving me serious wood. You say the windshield is BMW, is this something I can get from the dealer????

Also, do you have a Corbin saddle and if so how do you like it?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
spanky said:
Small hijack...If you're looking for a better seat, with little fuss, see if you can get a heated seat (comfort seat) like the one on the GT. They come in standard and lowered, both heated. $350, and a bit of wiring and switches. The comfort seat isn't that bad, really. If you're into serious long distance, then get a Russel Day Long. Ugly in terms of the lines on the bike, but if you're into distance riding, looks are secondary.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
124 Posts
spanky said:
This photo is giving me serious wood. You say the windshield is BMW, is this something I can get from the dealer????

The windscreen is BMW and ordereable through their parts dept. The part number is 71-60-7-666-718. I think it was about $90 or something. I will say one issue - it appears that BMW quality control is lacking in their tint. The tint is very "streaky." I returned my first one for that defect, and lo-and-behold if the second one wasn't just like the first. I just kept it and haven't worried about it. No one will notice until close to the screen. If you get one, hopefully the tint will be even.

No corbin on mine, but I do have the BMW comfort seat. Gareth does have a Corbin or Sargent on his as you saw in the pic. I like the comfort seat, but if I could do it all over again, I would do what Razel suggested and wire up the GT heated version.

·
Registered
180 Posts
spanky said:
You won't see many anywhere. BMW built 6921 and shipped about 675 K1's to the U.S. between 1989 and 1993. Of those sent here a little over 400 still exist. This one was mine:
Actually, I have seen quite a few K1s considering the limited numbers. I have a red/yellow although I rarely ride it anymore.
If you don't mind my asking, could you tell me what your K1 sold for and how many miles on it? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tsienville said:
The windscreen is BMW and ordereable through their parts dept. The part number is 71-60-7-666-718. I think it was about $90 or something.
Get a load of this; I visited the local dealer this morning and asked about this windshield and they came up with two prices. They first quoted me $151 and change then told me BMW just raised their prices and the new price would be $167 and change. I said "no thanks."

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for reasonaly priced tinted windshields but I'll keep looking.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Considering a Cee Baileys screen is $315 and an Aeroflow is $185/210 (depending on height), maybe $167 isn't that bad.

Put in the part number at BMW of Chicago's website and you'll find it for $133.60

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k1 reply

K1DUDE said:
Actually, I have seen quite a few K1s considering the limited numbers. I have a red/yellow although I rarely ride it anymore.
If you don't mind my asking, could you tell me what your K1 sold for and how many miles on it? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks.
Jeff,

I see that you live in the region as well, I'd like to see your K1. Too bad I didn't know there was another K1 owner so close by. Sent you a PM with full info on the recent sale of my K1.

·
Registered
124 Posts
spanky said:
Get a load of this; I visited the local dealer this morning and asked about this windshield and they came up with two prices. They first quoted me $151 and change then told me BMW just raised their prices and the new price would be $167 and change. I said "no thanks."

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for reasonaly priced tinted windshields but I'll keep looking.

Apparently they are right. I just went to Chicago BMW's site to check it out (as that is where I bought mine) and the retail is now $167.00, but after their discount, it is $133.60. $133.60 still isn't too bad, but I know I got mine for a tad over $90 when I ordered it. If you pay $133.60 and you don't get a "tie-dyed" version, you'll be ahead of the game, ha. Maybe they raised the price to get the tinting applied evenly - who knows.

If you wanna order from them, here's their link. They give 20% off of all parts and their service is very reliable.
https://chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/2frames/2frame.html

You'll need the BMW part number to order above though - and you can get the part#'s here (Select the K41 from the mootorcycle options and browse away)...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great Hobby

tsienville said:
Very cool! I did the blue handguards on mine also, and the BMW sport tinted windscreen. These bikes are a crazy addiction!
'S-truth... they sure are great to mod.... and you know what, they can even be fun to ride :ricky

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats on the new K bike. Glad to see another Duc owner going German too!

I've got a Sargent on my '01 K12RS and love it. Did a non stop ride from MD to Maine last year and had no problems with comfort. I would be nice to see them offer a heated version.

Bob's BMW here in MD has a K1, along with a lot of other neat Beemers, in their shop. Any of you guys that get over this way should stop and check them out, it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts