BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you laid your hands on or have seen the new iWay 350 C?

It seems like a very impressive unit. The MSRP is $499, but at least one vendor has them listed for $399. Unlike the iWay 500C, it contains TWO lithium ion batteries and a built-in battery charger. Suppose to provide 15 hours of service per charge. It also has a host of other features that, for the price, make it a steal. All this, plus the fact it is waterPROOF and built for rugged use, which is legendary among Lowrance products. Although it is missing the stellar 5" screen of the iWay 500C, the screen size on the iWay 350C is a respectable 3.5" in size and, like it's big brother, is suppose to have excellent screen display in both direct sunlight and low light situations.

It appears Lowrance waay underestimated the number of units they would sell of the new iWay 350 C. I have called 4 vendors. All have sold every 350C they can get their hands on. Even the distributors completely emptied their warehouses of 350C inventory within a few days of it's release to the public.

I'm thinkin' this may be the way to go, moreso than the new Tom Tom Rider.

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/iWAY350C.asp

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice looking unit, but, I would wait until you can touch one or buy from someone with a solid return policy. Since it is new, there seem to be some discrepancies (Garmin does this too so I am NOT bashing Lowrance).

First off, the data sheet does NOT mention that it is waterproof or even corrosion resistant. Looking at the Users Manual, there are open slots for power, headphones, SD memory card, etc. so it does NOT appear to be waterproof. However, under their mounting section it discusses using in a boat and on a motorcycle.

The next "problem" MAY be that the map is not updateable. Again, we have differing info. The User Manual states:

A hard drive contains highly detailed road and highway mapping data for Hawaii, the 48 contiguous United States and most of Canada. You can’t change or erase the map. Another partition of the hard drive is available for you to store MP3 music files. The iWAY's memory also records GPS data you create, such as address book contacts.
which would indicate you can't update the maps, yet the data sheet states:

Maps can be updated through the internal USB port with a PC
and the User Manual goes on to say that the MP3 and picture files are stored on the SD memory card NOT the hard drive.

Me thinks someone did some "cut and pasting" from the i500C data sheet!

In either case, I have heard differing opinions on if you can plan a trip using a mapping software or the Internet and then upload to the gps OR download a previous trip for archiving. This is why many have written the i500C off as "worthless" and a feature that Garmin seems to excel in.

Anyway, just be careful where you order from (if you do) UNTIL either more is known or you can see one in person.

Randy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Randy,

Just got off the phone with Lowrance corporate. They verified that, just like the iWay 500C, it is completely waterproof and "ruggedized" for motorcycle applications. However, one still does not have the ability to use mapping software which, to some, seems to be an issue, but not for me. Finally, maps can be updated on the iWay 350C with a PC.

Looks like Lowrance has another winner on their hands.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OOPS! Got some bad information from someone NOT in the know. Apparently, the iWay 350C is NOT waterproof. You'd think corporate dudes would know the 350 from the 500. Leave it to the tech guys to have all the details. Okay.......looks like Tom Tom Rider may be back in the picture.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
528 Posts
OkeefenokeeJoe said:
OOPS! Got some bad information from someone NOT in the know. Apparently, the iWay 350C is NOT waterproof. You'd think corporate dudes would know the 350 from the 500. Leave it to the tech guys to have all the details. Okay.......looks like Tom Tom Rider may be back in the picture.

OkeefenokeeJoe
I'm glad you are doing all this research. I'm going to wait and see what you buy. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, the TomTom Rider, the Garmin 376c and the Garmin 2730 are all on my list....none are exactly what I want, but all come close....can't wait to "play" with them so I can narrow it down and make a decision!

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts