BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I stumbled upon this site by accident. Glad I did.
I have a 2003 K1200GT with 10 000 miles which I exchanged for a troublesome R1150RS last September at half the new price.
Still getting used to the power and handling before the british winter stopped play.
I am impressed by the amount of information you have on this site with regard to all aspects of my ride.
Winter mods in progress are fitting the Stiebel 136db horn ( had one on the last bike easy to fit no relay loud with attitude ) Phillips + 50% vision bulbs ( they do make a difference) , Headlight protector and maybee a laminar lip and fenda extenda.
Also have some AF50 anti corrosion fluid coating to try out.
All goes to helping cure the winter SAD syndrome. Roll on spring and european touring.
Frank. :tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome from one new guy to another. I have an 03 GT, too. I also used to live in England, near Bury St Edmunds.

Cheers!

·
Registered
828 Posts
welcome

Glad you enjoy your new bike. I hope you stick around and share some good stories/experiences.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
636 Posts
Welcome Frank

Welcome to the group Frank.
You'll love your K1200GT, I do my 2004 machine.
You won't get a better site for K1200GT info than this (even though another site thinks they are the center of the BMW K1200GT universe!), and decent people to boot!
Winter, whats that?
Best wishes from Tropical Nth Queensland, Australia.

Ken.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Love my GT and welcome! Baytown, just curious what is the other GT site?

·
Registered
68 Posts
A whole lot of birthdays

You have to pack on a whole lot of birthdays to be an "old codger" here let me tell you. :hypocrite

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your welcomes Guys .

Its 55 birthdays so far . Have been biking for the majority of them.When I go and visit my 82yr old Mum on the bike I still get " Thought you would have grown out of those things by now son !" with a big grin all over her face.

The GT is the best bike I have owned to date suit my needs I already have a Garmin Quest and autocom fitted . Its the Euro model Quest with 243mb it took me down through France into Southern Germany , Austria and Northern Italy faultlessly last June direct to Hotel lobbies, allbeit on an R1150RS. The BMW bash at Garmisch was a diversion on the way.
I fancy going back to the Dolomites again for a full tour maybee this summer. By then I should have worn out the Z4,s it came with and fitted Z6,s
Cabin fever induces excessive accessory purchase therapy dont you find ?
Frank

:tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :tim :coffee

·
Registered
56 Posts
hello there island dweller

Old-Codger said:
Hi
I stumbled upon this site by accident. Glad I did.

Hi there - Frank, is it?
Nice to see another European join in!
Me, myself and I visited the UK last summer during a 5 day trip across England and right now I am looking forward to spending the summer holidays in Old Blighty as well, even though it will be with the family, which means without the bike. In this case: who cares!

Enjoy your KRS!

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome aboard

It's nice to have mates from across the pond. Query: are the roads long enough in GB to open the bike up and really enjoy it to the max?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Windstrat

England is a small island with twisty roads compared to your massive land mass. To open up the GT to its max for any length of time at all would be inviting a period in prison.
Generally the straightest and widest roads are our Motorways of three lanes each way. To be caught there by the police driving at over 100mph invites a three month ban from driving and increased insurance ( compulsary here ) premiums . Speeds of 150 if proved would invite 3 months imprisonment .
Our general speed limits are 30mph in town areas 60mph on Single carraigeways and 70mph on dual carraigeways and Motorways for bikes with 40 and 50 limits posted elsewhere.
The skill lies in intelligent riding on what we have available, there is plenty of fun to be had .
But just over the channel is mainland Europe a Mecca for the touring motorcyclist where I head each summer . The only place left there for a sustained full blast are the German Autobahns but you have to keep a weather eye out for the 200mph+ Porsches that cruise there in abundance and dont take prisoners
Frank
:ricky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts