BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last oil change, A&S sent me a long oil filter. They had not done that before, but I guess this one came on the K13, I have a K12. I could not get the filter on and thought there was a problem. As I was having the BMW shop install tires the next day, I had them install the filter. They told me that longer filter was now standard.

I asked how they got it on and they had to remove the shift linkage (what!?). I have had difficulty getting the bike into neutral since. I have 47,000 miles on the bike. Could it be an improperly-installed linkage? Something else? Clutch feels fine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is it actually impeding the linkage movement?

Bolts down there rust up. Take apart and relube or get the bearings and insert them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One would think that it was a direct result of them taking the shifter linkage apart to get the filter on.

However, I have taken my shifter linkage off multiple times (not to install an oil filter) and I never ended up with any issues shifting the bike or finding neutral.

Sounds weird to me. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long filter.

My '09 1300GT came to me with the short filter. I installed the "correct" long filter per the parts manual. While it is tight there is no interference with the shift lever. The shift lever comes off easy without fully disassembling it assuming you have a small wrench to hold the bolts on the back side FWIW. Can't comment on a 1200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts