BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better late than never, aye?

7 years off any bike, got the itch. Being an 89 E30 M3 owner thought I would keep it in the family. Got an 88 K75s w/ 37k miles. 3 weeks and 2k miles later trapsing everywhere from Estes <-> Woodland Park Colorado can report this 22 year old brick is running quite well, am very happy!

The bricks:

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey inline...
nice to see you are gettin some use out of the old girl...

i've been off of a street bike for about 20 yrs and put about 5k on a mid-eighty's maxim this summer and am hooked again.
i just picked one up and am working on getting it back on the road (still needs tires and a battery)..
i love the look and am looking fwd to putting some mile on 'er this coming season.

good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Haha glad to see you got the kid polishing her up, their little fingers can get into nooks that we can't get to ;)

That M3 color sanded? Paint looks super crisp!

·
Registered
153 Posts
xlv

Dbikers -- shouldn't that custom plate read XLV?

Chaos -- Way to go - train them early.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brick @ 11k Feet with a touch of snow; Juniper Pass, CO. Getting in the last rides before the weather hits :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
From '73 Harley to '86 K100RS

I am increasingly pleased that I have a "Flying brick". Bought mine for $3100.00 (27K miles) thought it was a good buy. I ended up spending $2499.00 to make it road worthy. Price included heated grips. I'm still quite pleased. My Harley was kick only and no windshield. Between now and spring time it will get new paint (candy apple red), engine spoiler, new Corbin seat, new windshield with a laminar lip. I put Metzler Laser Tech tires on. It will also get bar backs, Fork boots and a Progressive shock.

Sandhog

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Googly Moogly

Great Google Moogly, Sandhog! You may have taken the prize for most expensive brick. I thought I overpaid for Ocelot at $1,500, with heated grips, keyed beemer bags, and Corbin seat. Another $500 for fuel pump and tires, and I was way over budget. Now I am looking at a rear shock and feeling like a fool for over spending.

The oddest thing about used bricks is what a freaking bargain they are. No reflection at all on their intrinsic worth, you understand; I'm just saying their market value ain't squat doodle poo. Beemerphiliacs will gladly pay a fortune for a new brick but scorn a used. Used oilheads fetch reasonable bucks. Old airheads are a better investment than oil wells. But old bricks can be had for a song. Very strange phenomenon, don't you think? Must be some styling thing.

I think I've been through your Beacon NY a couple of times. Grand place to ride. Catskills on the one hand, West Point on the other, Water Gap over there, dacks over the other way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can't put a price on love. How the hell did you spend so much to get her road worthy out of curiosity? Can't think of anything that would set you back that much maybe new rims, computer, speedo, exhaust?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Costs, interesting...

My buy in cost for the Princess was about 800 bucks after offsets (she came with new tires, two top boxes and some other stuff so that after paying 1200 outright and subtracting for cost of all the new parts she came with and selling off the top boxes and other stuff I figured I was 800 into her).

I've now put about 600 in her for parts and paint so I figure I'm back to about 1400.

Not bad considering she only had 47k when I bought her, I think I am happy. She's so good, I'd have paid more.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fssnoc

TG4360 I am looking at your MBD inventory which includes a 500cc thumper, and your location, and wondering whether you belong to FSSNOC (Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club)? They had a grand gathering at beautiful Burke's Garden in your state this summer. Affable bunch. I rode my KLR650 down there camping. Check the FSSNOC web site.

Lukeman, I can understand how the price goes sky high if you don't wrench. Just for giggles I asked Bob's BMW what they would want for full service on a 1990 K75, and they quoted me $870. Imagine if I trailered Ocelot down to them and authorized them to replace the fuel pump & tires and tune her up; then they called me up saying the speedo didn't turn, so they would naturally order new from the fatherland. You could hit 2500 before you know it. I have a friend here who took her F650GS to Bob's for a water pump and came back 2700 lighter just for that.

That's all right. Here we are jabbering while Sandhog is probably riding the hell out of his little gold brick in the Catskills this very moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Purchased mine for $100 and after tires, fuel pump and all the in tank stuff, new fluids, cleaning the injectors and a couple new rubber parts I am in it for $900 and change. Love this thing so far and it is running like a champ at this point. Way fun! I may add the heated grips but ran it the other day with my battery powered gloves and they may be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ocelot, no doubt! The costs are a great motivator to make the effort at wrenching and learning, as is the case for me.

The gear cost is the one that snuck up on me, ie: I can be warm & light in the wallet with some heated gear or freeze, I chose warm :) Didnt help that I had none of my old gear and was starting over from scratch, well that's my excuse anyway, heh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tg4360 said:
My buy in cost for the Princess was about 800 bucks after offsets (came with tires two top boxes and some other stuff so that after paying 1200 outright and subtracting for cost of all the new parts she came with and selling off the top boxes and other stuff I figured I was 800 into her).

I've now put about 600 in her for parts and paint so I figure I'm back to about 1400.

Not bad for something that as she only had 47k when I bought her, I think I am happy. She's so good, I'd have paid more.
What's the going rate for new paint on a bike? I'd like to get mine painted maybe...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pricy

Enough that didn't want to know the answer.

I painted her myself because I knew I wouldn't/couldn't afford a real paint job. Besides, I wanted to learn how to do it.

Came out so/so but I have another bike (the banana) to paint to sell it so it was worth it for the experience.

Honestly, I have no idea what the cost would be these days. Probably better than 1k for a decent job.

Didn't want to spend MORE than my buy in cost just because I hated her color.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts