BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing everyone's replacement seats and I was going to go with Mayer, etc., but then I found a local fellow who does lots of internet business with Urals, etc. (Rich's Cycle Upholstery) and decided to give him a try (1/2 the price of the big guys and only 2 days of no seat!). I just got it back and will do a long ride this weekend, but so far it's much better (that's not saying much considering the pain I was enduring for the last 3500 miles with the stock one). He did the pillion so they matched and raised its front so I have a bit more butt support at the back (this seat will never be used as my wife rides her own). Here are some pics:

I think the grey-black combo looks really good, and today in the Uni parking lot with an air temperature of 94° F it was cooler than the black original. :)

Cheers, Greg

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
This is the first aftermarket saddle I do like the look.
Is it vinyl or leather?
Looks fantastic, congrats!

·
Registered
68 Posts
really nice work
i'd love to see more detailed, close-up shots, if you have the time
they did a great job
i can't wait to hear how they work out for you

·
Registered
145 Posts
GregC,
Must agree they look like they did a nice job for you and I to would like to see some shot closer up.
Give us a ride report when you get a chance.

Does it have gel pads?

Hey guys in Seattle isn't there a seat guy in your area named Rich that does seats also?

I'm waiting on my 2nd seat to return from Russell and then I'll get my 1st seat back off to Mayer for a re-do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy - It is marine vinyl, so thicker (and presumably sturdier) than the vinyl used on most bike seats.
Road - Because of the heated seats, he said he couldn't/didn't want to use gel ...too many chances for a screw up with heat/cool and presence of 12v. Over the carved out original foam, he used a softer variety, but not sure what it's specs/name are - feels good though, soft then firms up when fully compressed (with my big butt!). :D

I'll put a few hundred miles on it tomorrow and since it's blazing hot here (95°F today, same tomorrow), this should be a good test. Next weekend we're going to the Sherando Lake BMW Rally (off the BRP just south of Waynesboro, Virginia) that will add up to >1000 miles by the time we get home, so I'll really know how well it works...so far so good.
More pics, hmmm, how are these?

If you want to see them in high resolution, just go to K1200 GT Pics

Later gators, Greg

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Greg,
BMW big top case will match the saddle perfectly, IMHO.
As it is alu-silver and black.
What's your opinion?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
easyman05 said:
Greg,
BMW big top case will match the saddle perfectly, IMHO.
As it is alu-silver and black.
What's your opinion?
I was suprised at the variety of colors and styles available in vinyl, so I think it would be easy to match. To give you a comparison, my K is the crystal grey. I think Al is a bit darker than the grey, and I saw a bit darker grey vinyl in his collection.

Scott - Rich's contact email is on his web site for which I provided the link above. Contact him as he likes to do local work (faster than internet). He also has some interesting vinyls like one that looks like carbon fiber that he's used for sport bikes.

Greg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New report on seat: did 150 miles on it today in extreme heat (up to 98°F) and 2 thumbs up ...oops, I should keep one hand on the bars! How's about 2 cheeks down? Whatever, I highly recommend my new redone seat, and only $250 US (tax and shipping not included, but I'm local so no shipping). Oh, and I have no interest/connection with Rich's Cycle Upholstery (in Virginia, not in the Pacific NW)...only a customer.
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Greg,

Do you have contact info for that shop? I tried calling information but they weren't able to find the number.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
531 Posts
gregc, thanks for the link to someone that makes a comfortable seat at a reasonable price. i wasn't considering another seat until about a week ago when suddenly my stock seat became unbareable after only an hours ride. i've had the bike for a little over 6500 miles and only recently has the seat become uncomfortable. i can't see paying 500+ for an aftermarket seat since mainly i'm only in the saddle for a few hours a day at most.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bnblazer said:
Greg,

Do you have contact info for that shop? I tried calling information but they weren't able to find the number.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian - He doesn't give out his # readily, but his address is on the web site link I provided above (the contact me link); send him an email and he'll respond relatively quickly (and he'll give you his #).
That work?
Greg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sep999 said:
Greg, is the seat height the same, lower, or higher? Thanks
It's a little lower, but not very much (as measured by my feet). He did lower it 1/2", but widening it offset this gain/loss (depending on your perspective). As you may tell, the seat is in the low position, but it was otherwise stock to begin with (not a lowered seat). I have a 28" inseam, so I couldn't afford any increase in seat height :rotf: !
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks Greg, I will contact him by email.

Brian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. Well after trading emails and talking to Rich on the phone, I shipped him my seat. Hopefully I'll get it back next week. I'll post pictures and a review when I get the seat back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an email from him today saying several people had contacted him...he may have to make "appointments" for K-GT seats! So, you're the first, well second, to test 'em out.
Cheers, Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts