BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's

Getting read for the new riding season. New Tires, and maybe suspension.

I'm struggling with doing a major suspension upgrade to the GT. Part of me wants to do the whole front and rear Ohlin thing, but, I want to really test ride the new GT. Even though I keep telling myself that I won't pay 21K for a bike.

Ok you real experienced riders, how do you know, or what do you feel for in the stock suspension that tells you it's either pretty worn out or getting there? Tire pattern wear?
I would think that most tire pattern wear happens due to the design and the maintained tire pressure's. I have 20 K on her now.

Leon

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Wilbers came with a recommended 30k rebuild interval. I replaced the front at 600 miles (leaky original) and the rear at about 24k. Can't give you a solid answer just yet, as I put the original rear back on and the new (replacement) on the front so the Wilbers could be rebuilt (at 60k). Front was bottoming out once in a while, so decided to get both rebuilt (30k interval not withstanding). Turns out the original rear was not defective as once thought, but with the standard shocks back on, the bike feels planted, just not as well as the Wilbers. Subjective as all get-out, but I can't pinpoint what's different. When the rebuilt suspenders are put back on, I'll see if I can determine what's what...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
33 Posts
I really noticed when riding 2 up. bike would bounce around significantly on bumps especially when cornering. did not feel comfortable on bumpy roads laying the bike over. It is subjective but if you feel good with what you have why change, unless you are in need of a better suspension due to riding style etc. My two cents

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
My 98 had 30,000 miles on it when I upgraded to Ohlins. The stock shocks were pretty well shot. I would bottom the bike out, hitting the center stand on the smallest of dips in the road, especially two up...with my kid,,,when he weighed all of 75 pounds in addition to my 200 or so at the time. With the preload maxed out. :wtf

Have had the Ohlins for 5 and a half years, probably 45K miles. Just took them off a couple weeks ago to get rebuilt. They need some fresh oil and gas and some new bushings and seals. Should get them back the end of this week.

I love'em..worth EVERY penny I paid for them. IMO, an upgraded suspension, whether it be Ohlins, wilburs, or whomever is the smartest money you'll spend on the bike itself.

·
Registered
513 Posts
shocks/suspension

I had a 2002 K1200RS since new. at about 25,000 miles I felt not as comfortable (secure) cornering as I used to. I blamed it on the tires. The make.
The bike did not bounce like the shocks were worn out. But it was the suspension that was causing the ill corniering.

I traded that bike for a 2004 K1200RS and it corners great.

I will be replacing the suspension at about 20,000 miles. It is at 13,000 now.

the suspension wears out slowly, so you may not feel it.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
So fast you can't see me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
shocks

i have ohlins on both my 99 r1100s with 31000 on it,the 02 k1200rs has ohlins on it they have about 5000 miles on them both bike are a great riding. 2 up and ready for a long trip change rebound +1 and pre-load 1 turn bike ride is stable not bumpy and will not bottom out.had the shoks looked at on the r1100s @30000 miles stig at pps told me they did not need any gas etc.by the way the ohlin on my 91 k100rs went 68000 mile before it neened any work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
if you have 20k miles on the bike swap now go to Ohlins or wilburs which ever you prefer but do it now before your stockers are toast,that way when you go to sell swap back sell the bike then sell the shocks. If you wait till the stockers are gone you wont be able to put them back on to sell

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get the Ohlins if you can...worth their weight in gold if you ask me. Plus you can set them up for touring(nice and plush) or track days with quick and easy adjustment knobs and dials. I replaced both front and rear at the same time and new set of tires as well all at 18Kmiles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Switched from Metz Z6's to Conti Road Attacks last weekend -- great improvement in handling IMO (see my detailed post elsewhere in the K12 forum).

And, this week, I had Ohlin's front/rear put on. I just picked up the bike today so I have only about 20 miles on the new suspension but I will tell you the bike now feels like the wheels are magnetically planted on the road -- VERY solid and the Ohlins have a much more dynamic and stable "feel" to them over road bumps, etc. I can tell a HUGE difference over stock!

I'll tell you more after I get a few 00 miles on them this weekend!

So far -- I am very pleased with the tires/suspension upgrade. Really make the bike feel quicker and more responsive.

Howard

·
Registered
14 Posts
First post

I just adopted an '02 KRS with 12K on the clock. Thought the suspension was poor until I adjusted it according to the experts on this forum. Now it is just above adequate. I have a '99 R11S with ohlins 30K and love them, particularly the ability to adjust the dampening on the fly with the top knob. I am leaning toward the ohlins over the wilbers because of my experience with them. The only concern is that the ohlins 36D for the front does not appear to have any adjustment except preload, unless you go with the electric model. I believe the wilbers front shock does have a dampening adjustment, Even considered using the wilbers 630 on the front and the ohlins 46HRCLS on the rear. I would appreciate any thooughts. This forum has been a big help to me with this great KRS!
Peter

·
Registered
143 Posts
krautrkt said:
I just adopted an '02 KRS with 12K on the clock. Thought the suspension was poor until I adjusted it according to the experts on this forum. Now it is just above adequate. I have a '99 R11S with ohlins 30K and love them, particularly the ability to adjust the dampening on the fly with the top knob. I am leaning toward the ohlins over the wilbers because of my experience with them. The only concern is that the ohlins 36D for the front does not appear to have any adjustment except preload, unless you go with the electric model. I believe the wilbers front shock does have a dampening adjustment, Even considered using the wilbers 630 on the front and the ohlins 46HRCLS on the rear. I would appreciate any thooughts. This forum has been a big help to me with this great KRS!
Peter
I have Ohlins front & rear and I've thought about changing out the front one with a Wilbers for the ability to adjust it. I don't understand why Ohlins makes a front shock that doesn't have more adjustments other than pre-load.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All of the work is done by the rear suspension on this bike anyway. All you need up front is preload......You decide whether on not you want plush, taut, or somewhere in between as far a front preload.....then adjust your rear preload according to give the bike a 50/50 front rear weight distribution. Then..you can fine tune the rear with rebound and compression adjustments.....mostly rebound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts