BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted several times, and with the help of many, many good guys, I've just about got it.
Three pics attached. Give me just a little more help, even though from previous posts, I think I got it. Just anal about doing something right, as you can tell. Thank You.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you've got it right except for the black wires. Black or brown usually indicates ground. What do the PIAA instructions say to do with that? What about the instructions that came with the autoswitch? I think those both need to be grounded and not connected to each other.

Then again, I could be wrong.

HTH,
hank

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think you have it correct. I believe both the PIAA and the Autoswitch use the black as ground wire color.
If you use a constant hot for the Autoswitch red, your Piaas will stay on when you turn off the key. I use the running light wire to trigger a relay that powers all of the items/ relays that I want to go off with the key.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Razel said:
An additional reason to use the parking headlight lead for the relay is that if you needed to, you could leave the lights on if you put the key in the Park position, so you could have those lights w/o the engine running or everything else powered when the key is in the run position.
I mounted my Autoswitch w/ the supplied double-sided foam tape underneath the metal VIN plate welded to the frame rails under the seat... I tapped the Tail Light's running light lead for the Autoswitch's red power lead... tons o' wire on the Autoswitch to run it to the PIAA harness wherever you put it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts