BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just purchased a 2002 K12RS with about 76,000 miles on the clock. So far I’ve put about 200 miles on it and have a couple questions. Certainly not looking for problems with it. My other bike is an R1200gs and this is a bit different.

Bike seems to always run hot. Needle goes between 1/2 way and the red and kind of stays there. Normal? I did verify that at times both fans do come on and the temp cycles back down. Also checked the overflow bottle and radiator. Both are good.

Tracking my mileage im getting right around 30 mpg. Seems low. Guessing i might want to change out the O2 sensor. I’m thinking it’s the original one.

Does anyone know of a non BMW O2 sensor. Just realized the oem one is over $300.

Any other suggestions on what else to look at are appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Peter,

I'm relatively new to the K12RS world as well. New to BMW too. A few weeks ago I did a 300km day trip on my 2003 K12RS. With both panniers fitted, ambient temperatures 32 deg C and highway speeds 50:50 100/110 kph I got 19 km per litre. Which I think equates to 45 miles per US gallon.

I purchased a GS-911 test unit because I had some problems with the ABS. When testing I could also see when the O2 sensor was operating and how it cycled. Rather than going directly to replacing the sensor is it possible to get the system checked first? There are discussions on this site about O2 sensor functioning and options other than BMW part replacement. Alternatives, didn't look entirely straight forward on a first read so I'm pleased mine works (most probably original given the bike's history).

The bike has a new K&N air filter that I installed as a matter of course in getting it on the road. I don't know how it runs on an old stock item. What condition is the air filter in your bike?

Mine seems to run hot as well, but not into the red zone. What surprised me was how quickly the gauge rises from 'normal' to fans operating. Nevertheless, the fans seem to cope even on a hot Australian summer day in traffic light to traffic light traffic. On the ride I described above, which was a hot day, I think the temperature gauge settled just above mid range at highway cruising speeds. Your experience seems similar to mine.

Malcolm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply. Temp wise it semms my bike behaves just like yours. I'll not worry about it and just keep an eye on the gauge.

Air filter is OEM and in good condition. Pulled it out last night to check and it was good.

I did find an NTK O2 sensor that is plug and play. I'm going to swap it out and reset the ECU. Guessing it was the original sensor and while all the plastics are off I figured it was a cheap enough swap out.

Once I get it back together I'll ride a couple of tanks of fuel through it and see how she does.

Thanks again,
Peter

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
On the highway in the 70-80F temp range the gauge should stay below the mid-mark by 1/8".

If not it is most probably time to pull the radiators right off and clean the fins from bug crap/sand/dirt/tar etc...!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply. Temp wise it semms my bike behaves just like yours. I'll not worry about it and just keep an eye on the gauge.

Air filter is OEM and in good condition. Pulled it out last night to check and it was good.

I did find an NTK O2 sensor that is plug and play. I'm going to swap it out and reset the ECU. Guessing it was the original sensor and while all the plastics are off I figured it was a cheap enough swap out.

Once I get it back together I'll ride a couple of tanks of fuel through it and see how she does.

Thanks again,
Peter
What is the part number you have for the NTK?

·
Registered
30 Posts
they always look like they run hot - but its not. just befor hot line the 2 fans turn on ( lf & rt) drive a bit cool dwn to normal.
it looks funky. kind of like the fuel gauge never really reads full.
but wise to empty tank when you change filter every 25k miles - slowly fill tank from a 7 gal gas can & ch when low fuel light goes out.
thats your reserve - do the math. i get about 46 to 48 mpg - do the math so ya dont run out.
& het fuel pump id in tank - always refuel at about 100 ish miles to keep pump cool it will last longer
( its really ok to run to 1/2 tank 2.5 gal ish) - but change that filter every 25k ish -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts