BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 2009 K1300GT at San Diego BMW. Looks very clean and well maintained with only 27k on the clock. I'm excited, still getting used to the difference in the tranny's from the classic K12RS and this K13GT.
I just did an iron butt from San Diego, CA to College Station, TX this past weekend with 1700miles over the past two days and bunches of suicidal bugs - I'm glad I left EARLY (4AM) to get through the Mojave desert, I read it top 118F later in the day. One casualty, I noticed the final drive started weeping oil, I wouldn't mind getting some advice on how to fix this issue. Does anyone have a maintenance CD I can borrow?

Speed Safe,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
392 Posts
Do you have a picture showing where it's leaking? Is it throwing oil on your rim or leaking from the side? Bottom? Mine developed a leak at the shaft seal (side) which is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
353 Posts
Intellectual property is of value. I'm thankful BMW offers a manual. Buy one from your dealer.
If it is the side 60mm seal, you can fix it yourself. Remove black cover, remove snap ring, drill 1/16" hole in the edge of the seal insert sheet metal screw and pull out. Do not drill in more than an 1/8" or you will drill into the bearing or race. If it is the larger main seal, remove the final drive and take it to the dealer.
Put your bike up on the center stand. Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Wiggle, see what moves. Does the wheel move on its drive bearings? Does the final drive move on its pivot bearings? Does the rear swing arm move on it's mount bearings? There should be no more that .5mm movement from the wheel bearing measured at the rim. Of course if things move like the pivot or swing arm move, they need to be addressed. The Swing arm is easy, it has a 7Nm torque set up on one of the pinions. This gets loose. The pivot bearings are a bit more work, all need to be greased every once and a while.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm traveling at the moment and plan to be back this weekend to check out the bike.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Intellectual property is of value. I'm thankful BMW offers a manual. Buy one from your dealer.
If it is the side 60mm seal, you can fix it yourself. Remove black cover, remove snap ring, drill 1/16" hole in the edge of the seal insert sheet metal screw and pull out. Do not drill in more than an 1/8" or you will drill into the bearing or race. If it is the larger main seal, remove the final drive and take it to the dealer.
Put your bike up on the center stand. Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Wiggle, see what moves. Does the wheel move on its drive bearings? Does the final drive move on its pivot bearings? Does the rear swing arm move on it's mount bearings? There should be no more that .5mm movement from the wheel bearing measured at the rim. Of course if things move like the pivot or swing arm move, they need to be addressed. The Swing arm is easy, it has a 7Nm torque set up on one of the pinions. This gets loose. The pivot bearings are a bit more work, all need to be greased every once and a while.
I am a strong believer in the right to repair. When BMW sells a motorcycle they convey to you all property of said motorcycle. while the underlying technology is patented and you may not copy or reproduce their work. I believe that you own any repair information associated with that motorcycle. Would you buy a piece of IKEA furniture if the assembly instructions were an extra cost and not free to use?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well I wish you luck with that. BMW has made almost NO information available for these bikes. I had a fuel pressure problem (as it turned out) and searched high and low for a description of how the fuel system worked. It's nowhere to be found. I discovered a few other things, but nothing of diagnostic value. I posted to the GS-911 list, thinking that if those guys were smart enough to reverse engineer the system, they'd know what the normal operating parameters would be... they must have known, but refused to provide any information. Needless to say I am beyond pissed, and out $1400 for dealer repair. That sum is easily exceeded in the experiences of many, but it's the largest repair bill I've ever paid in my vehiclular life, going back to 1970.

So what? BMW hasn't and I don't think will, comply with the expectation of information we are given by law.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wait until you price a tire pressure monitor. I think it is $240.00.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
392 Posts
That sum is easily exceeded in the experiences of many, but it's the largest repair bill I've ever paid in my vehicular life, going back to 1970.
Try owning Porsche's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts