BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 91 K75 with only 15K miles. I'm very pleased but it does hesitate a bit and is smoking some. A couple buddies of mine say it probably has a old seal that's going or gone and the fuel injectors are gummed up. They suggest some injector cleaner and to take to a shop for some maintenance. I would like to know if those are good suggestions and going forward should I use dino oil or synthetic?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Smokes on start-up? Will happen more when the bike has been sitting on the side stand vs. center stand. Not a whole heck of a lot to do about that.
As for the hesitation, get some Techron fuel system cleaner, and pour a portion in a full tank of gas. Some bottle are good for 16 gallons, some are good for 20. So, use either a third or a quarter bottle per full tank fill up for the injectors. With that few miles on a 20 year-old bike, I kind of doubt it has been ridden that much. About the third tank, open it up for a couple of miles (third gear, open road, up around red-line ... don't want any unwanted pursuit) then ride it 10 miles or so before you end the ride (or more if you like). They will back-fire on decel; nothing to worry about.

You'll be amazed at how smooth that motor is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New bike continued

I got the injector cleaner so I'll see how that goes. I was out riding and I tried to redline in first gear. When I got to 7500rpm the bike seemed to loose power. Is this a design feature to keep you from over-revving the the engine?

·
Registered
273 Posts
91k75guy said:
I got the injector cleaner so I'll see how that goes. I was out riding and I tried to redline in first gear. When I got to 7500rpm the bike seemed to loose power. Is this a design feature to keep you from over-revving the the engine?
No, should be able to redline, there is a rev limiter built in but it shouldnt cut in until youre into the redline, max HP on these bikes was at 8500, but.................... Youve got a 20 year old bike thats hardly been used, go careful, get the injectors cleaned and get the Throttle Bodies balanced, when was the fuel filter last changed?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
On the smoking, if you are parking the bike on the side stand, THAT is the smoking issue. Start using the center stand. Use the side stand only to dismount the bike, then up on the side stand. Unless you will only be a minute or two. BUT it will smoke when you start it again :) .

On the engine cutting out; one big K75 problem is a rubber damper that holds the fuel pump in place in the tank. Gas degrades it and it starts to flake and fall apart in the tank. The rubber particles then plug up a strainer which protects the pump (I assume to protect it from rubber particles, ha ha). This will cut the fuel supply at high revs and you get this problem. You should be able to find info online for this problem.

Gilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts