BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, came across this site tonight and as I have just bought a 2005 K1200GT thought I would sign up.

After having bikes for 26 years this is my first BMW. I have to say first impressions are very good and I am actually in France with it now and off down to the Pyrennes on the 21st for a long weekend. I also have a Hayabusa which I normally tour on but have decided it need to sit upright a bit more!!! Will keep hold of Busa for now but am looking forward to my first outing.

I do have a question and have searched this site for an answer, re warranties. Mine is up in August and have had the letter re. £659 renewal which is ludicrous.

I saw a post from Dibbley I think it was in Ramsbottom saying it is only 400 Ozzy dollars so I had a look at the BMW Oz site and sure enough it is.

Has anyone purchased a warranty from Oz for their UK bike and is the BMW warranty international???? If it is I may well buy from Oz but certainly not from UK dealers.

Would like to hear comments re. the Ozzy warranty.

I am going to give a dealer in Oz a call to see what they say.

Cheers for now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello Nige; welcome. You're a way from me in Skipton but you've come to the right place for info. regarding your question, I posted the same enquiry recently, please see http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10312

I too was quoted this ludicrous amount and it's clear that BMW simply aren't interested in providing this type of insurance any more.

Great choice of bike :teeth enjoy !

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John.

Thanks for the welcome and link to your previous post. I had seen yours and another one by Dibbley in Ramsbottom who had mentioned the fact that if the BMW warranty is a truly International one that you could buy it from Oz for about £160!

I have emailed BMW asking if their warranty is an International one that includes both the mechanical and the breakdown cover. I will let you know their reply.

You never mentioned if you took out an alternative warranty, have you sorted one or taken the view that the bike should be sound?

I am visiting a friend in the Pyrennes who used to own a motorcycle shop and he is going to give me the name of a company he used for warranties who are supposed to offer good cover for a reasonable price. Will keep you posted.

I am looking forward to doing a long run on the bike but will have to forget my other bike is a hayabusa because I know I am going to be dissapointed with the performance if I don't!!! But I know I will arrive in comfort.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello Nige;

No I haven't taken out anyother form of extended warranty as a) I haven't found one and b) I canot see how I could possibly claim under a "warranty" even if I did. Now, insurance against all forms of mechanical failure, and I'm interested. So, yes I've taken the view that, with respect to warranty work, I can go no further. Do make sure that you have international (European) breakdown cover; at £109 pa that seems reasonable and well worth it; especially with your trip coming up.

As for being disappointed with the performance, I'm not sure how that could be. I have also had an extended ride on a K1200S which is probably pretty close to your hiyabusa, but for all sane speeds and acceleration of public roads, the K1200GT is extremely fast IMHO :)

Good luck and yes, please keep me informed if you find a decent deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts