BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

New York Show today!

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Razel 
#1 ·
Well, the new GT looks fine, I'm sure it's quick, however, IMHO when sitting on it I don't
Have the same feeling I have on my 04, it feels and looks like the many big touring bikes I have owned, and of course that's what it is, the 04 has a raw edge and great flowing lines and I can't wait to ride it again. Did I say this right?

#2 ·
At least in my case, I just am not ready to buy another bike. The most likely of my two bikes to be replaced is my '98 K12RS. I have ridden the new S. A fine bike and I probably will one day have one, just not today. Mostly because I'm happy with the two bikes I presently have. I suspect you are in a similar situation.

Jim

#3 ·
ezgo said:
Well, the new GT looks fine, I'm sure it's quick, however, IMHO when sitting on it I don't
Have the same feeling I have on my 04, it feels and looks like the many big touring bikes I have owned, and of course that's what it is, the 04 has a raw edge and great flowing lines and I can't wait to ride it again. Did I say this right?
I sat on the new GT at the Javits show yesterday - strongest impression is that the riding position feels like the R12RT. Much bigger difference between this GT and the S than between the previous GT and the RS.

#4 ·
Seems we all had the same impression. The bike looks very nice in person, but the seating position was too vertical for me. I do like a little lean forward, but the GT felt like I was sitting on an LT.

I'm sure it would be a blast to ride, but I'm a little put off by the seating position. To be fair, the handle bars were in the high postion.

I'm now thinking more about the S. Just wish they'd put cruise control on it.

#5 ·
Cycle Show........

allenclarkson said:
I sat on the new GT at the Javits show yesterday - strongest impression is that the riding position feels like the R12RT. Much bigger difference between this GT and the S than between the previous GT and the RS.
Sorry, I still think the thing is ugly. The lowers are just straight, no clean "flowing" lines like my '04. I like the mirror position though, being wide shouldered I have a tough time looking behind me. I want that motor, but will wait to see how it lasts/performs in the next couple years. Javits Center pics.

Attachments

#6 ·
The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those complaining are owners of the current GT, which is just a lightly modified RS. (It reminds me of a Pontiac with all the body cladding.) Seems they are just defending their investments.

Ken

#7 ·
kencorsun said:
The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those complaining are owners of the current GT, which is just a lightly modified RS. (It reminds me of a Pontiac with all the body cladding.) Seems they are just defending their investments.

Ken
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. :eek:

#8 ·
kencorsun said:
The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those observing are owners of the current GT, which is a marked improvement over the RS. (It reminds me of a Contach with all the body cladding.) Seems they are pretty discriminating when it comes to good motorcycle design.

Ken
Fixed!

:teeth

#9 ·
New GT........

kencorsun said:

Ken
PONTIAC, I'LL GIVE YA PONTIAC !!. Besides, I'm a Chrysler man.

#10 ·
I agree. Waited to see the new K1200GT up close at the motorcycle show in NY to firm up my purchase.. And it hit me.......I went from being totally excited to totally dissapointed from my first look up close..The blinkers near the headlight and all that fairing enclosing the engine??? Even the bars seemed cheesy and the way they adjust..

IMHO all they had to do at BMW is take the new R1200RT styling as a base and add the K engine, drop the bars to make it more sport touring and install a lower fairing...Done. I think BMW put very little effort into designing this bike and it's a big dissapointment in my eyes..

I really tried to appreciate the bike and must have gone back to the BMW booth six or seven times to see if the bike would strike me.....I tried from every angle...NOPE???...

Love the product (BMW), So I went and purchased a 2005 K1200S on Sat..It's a nice bike and will do fine for sport touring. The bike fites me well at 5'10" and a 32" inseam and I find the fairing was well designed..No buffetting as I had on my older K1200RS...I love the lines also. The only thing I'd ask for is cruise and a larger usable gas tank and the K1200S would be complet..

#12 ·
kencorsun said:
(It reminds me of a Pontiac with all the body cladding.) Seems they are just defending their investments.

Ken
Owned an LT when my wife rode behind me.She bought an RT.I always lusted after the RS and we take quite a few trips,low and behold they come out with the GT.There it was,an RS clad in every thing I would need on an RS to do my traveling plus a few more pieces for less money than gearing up the RS.I did not want an RT,would't want one if they put a four cylinder motor in one.I still like the flowing lines of the RS and GT's.Not defending my investment but there was no new gen GT's available when I bought my GT and I don't think there are any available now.From what I've seen in pictures I still don't want or lust after an RT with a four cylinder. If I was going to trade my GT today it would be for the new ST,I like the light weight and foward lean.Will be going to Chicago so I will have my first in person look at the new GT but I seriously doubt I will fall in lust the way I did for the RS a few years ago.I beleive people wanting a more upright ride like the new GT like it and those who were hoping for a more S like GT do not like the bike.Me,I would have liked a little less touring and a little more sport. To each his own.I do think BMW will sell plenty of these new GT's,even at 20K plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.