BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - picked up my 2007 K1200 r sport last week, great condition, full BMW service history and luggage ready for a Europe trip this summer with my mate.

Two issues which I need to sort first though!

the worst one is that twice the bike has completed died on me whilst on the motorway, lights off, lcd display dead, no warning lights - it just dies! I freewheel over to the side, start up again and off I go. BMW reckon over the phone that it could be the starter switch - seems like they use the same switch across multiple models and there are a few websites showing how owners have cleaned the switch contacts - might try that first to save myself the £80 for a new switch.

the second issue (or may not be an issue) is that when idling - the purring of the engine is interrupted for a second or two with a grumble rumble type sound like the idle is disrupted for a short while. Then it goes back to normal?!

Any similar symptoms from anybody and solutions?!

Cheers,

·
Registered
90 Posts
The first certainly sounds electrical. I would check battery connections first and then keep following into the engine. The second might be a chain tensioner. How many miles on the new ride?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the bike checked, no ECU faults logging loss of power and no obviously loose connections or corrosion on the ignition switch. They were unable to emulate the issue in the workshop or on a test ride so I guess I will just have to see how it goes. Slightly un-nerving as I'm off to France, Germany and Belgium on it in a few weeks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts