BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new member here. I just purchased a used 1 owner 1998 K1200 rs with 20k miles. This bike is very well maintained and cared for. Seller said it probably needs a new clutch and they are not cheap to have done? Should it need a clutch?
The bike shifts good and pulls hard. Anyway it is a beautiful bike, I owned a 87 K100rt a long time ago and thought it was time to try another k bike.
What is the best aftermarket windshield, for 98 k1200 rs?
Tires look great but owner said they are 5 years old and should be replaced. They have very little wear ?
Thanks for replies,
Rich
Colo. Springs, CO

·
Registered
76 Posts
Folks report measuring clutch plate thickness at nearly 100k and finding it is close to factory new thickness. I would ask PO why he thinks the clutch needs replacing. Did he burn it? Was he towing a boat?

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
I replaced my clutch at 69K miles. The only way you should need one at 20K is if the slave cylinder has failed and soaked the shit outta everything else. ( which is NOT unheard of ).

If it pulls hard, leave it alone and run it. :teeth

And, I personally would replace the tires. Five years is a long time to sit and dry-rot.

Also, moved this thread to the proper forum.

What color did you get ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98 k1200 rs color

My k bike is a dark blue, not sure what it is called. Looks like a grey blue to me.
Anyone know the color and paint code ?
Thanks Rich

·
1,126 Posts
67bullitt said:
My k bike is a dark blue, not sure what it is called. Looks like a grey blue to me.
That would be the Dolphin Blue, can't help you with the code though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
failed slave cylinder

Hey Shook, what would the bike do if the slave cylinder had failed?
Symptoms that would help me identify if this had happened.
Thank you for your helpful information.
Rich D.

·
1,126 Posts
67bullitt said:
Hey Shook, what would the bike do if the slave cylinder had failed?
Symptoms that would help me identify if this had happened.
Thank you for your helpful information.
Rich D.
There'd be oil all over the clutch, it'd slip like crazy.
and, you'd probably notice that the hydraulic clutch reservoir
needs topping up.

If you're bike is pulling strong, stop fretting. Run the
snot out of it. After you get new tires, of course. :teeth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!

Thanks Tim, I think your right, take it out and have some fun. Tires are easy.
Thanks again for your help and information.
Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire recommendations?? windshield?

Hi All, ok now i need tire recommendations, i live in Colo. but mainly ride in nice weather.
oh yea, my bike has the wider rear tire ? size?
Windshield recommendations for 98 k1200 rs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
67bullitt said:
Hi All, ok now i need tire recommendations, i live in Colo. but mainly ride in nice weather.
Hello from another newbie, I just bought a used '03 GT which I'd love to be riding around the COS...beautiful there.

I have liked Metzeler Roadtec Z6's on several bikes, one of them being the GT (just got a set mounted). This may even be the OEM fit for these bikes, but I don't know that for sure.

If you have the wider rear tire, it is a 180/55R17 versus the smaller 170-series. The front should be a 120/70R17. There are MANY tire choices in this size since this is a "standard" sportbike size.

Can't help ya with the w/s question, mine is different from stock. Hope you enjoy that K.

·
Registered
82 Posts
aftermarket screens

My '98 KRS uses a BMW comfort screen ( seem to remmeber it was £ 53 , but might be wrong) and a Laminar Lip on top of this. In the upright position it works very well, but it all depends on height ( I'm bout 5' 10" ) and helmet ( mines a Schubert C2). For me its a great combo and has let me cruise comfortably at over 100mph ( not of course in Britain !!).

The comfort screen still looks good IMHO.

definitely replace the tyres, not worth the risk and think about a set of Ohlins

have fun.

Nigeldav

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
67bullitt said:
Oh, what tire to use...what oil to use... :teeth
Depends. I've run Metzeler Z6's for the distance, generally getting 10-12k miles before they're used up. Michelin Pilot Roads 2 as well. If you like the bike cornering hard, go to a softer tire, like the Michelin Pilot Power or Pilot Sport and Metzeler M3. More grip, less mileage. Thing is, unless you're familiar with tire grip under various road condtions and like pushing the limits, you're probably better off with a road tire. Avon, Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, and Metzeler all have road tires, they're different, and in some cases the differences are subtle. Having said a lot when a little would have probably been enough, get a road tire until you're used to the bike. Try a sport tire and see if you can tell the difference. Everyone's perception is different.

Oh, as for the size, it's probably a 5.5" wheel, which takes a 180 instead of a 170. But, look at the spokes of the wheel, and you should see 5.5. If it's an aftermarket wheel, it could be a 6.0" wheel, and a 190 would be called for. A 5.0" wheel would be a 170.

Finally, think about a radar detector. It happens from time to time that you'll see red/blue lights in your mirror, and the speedometer laughing at your lack of attention.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

Hello I am also new to the forum as I bought a 2003 K1200RS about a month ago. I had not owned a street bike since the 80's and when I started riding this K-bike I was blown away by how far bikes have come.
John Hoffner

·
1,126 Posts
JOHNHOF said:
Hello I am also new to the forum as I bought a 2003 K1200RS about a month ago.
Welcome aboard, John.

Try to keep from getting any tickets with yer new rocket ship,eh ?n :teeth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts