BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL,
I just traded my 1999 R1100RT 100km for a 2002 K1200RS 54km and I am looking for a pipe & tall screen for starters... It came with a shorty screen and it is way too busy and windy.
The exhaust is stock and super-heavy and feels bunged up - I need to unleash the beast!
I am planning on a K&N filter as well.

Cheers

Clive - Toronto 647 217 8465

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tall windscreen

K-Clive:

I have a tall clear screen sitting right here in my basement. And I'm just around the corner from you, in Oakville.

I'm 6' 2", ride with the seat in the high position, and I found that the tall screen didn't give me enough clean airflow.

Your welcome to try it out. It's in very good condition.

Dave 905 827-0115

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust etc. Screen & K&N filter

Cool Dave,
I will be over at Burlington Airpark (CZBA) Weds getting my newest aerial
creation setup and running - I have use of a nice hangar for the shakedowns.

I am calling you shortly

Thanks!

Clive - Toronto
647 217 8465

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kijiji K1200RS

dohalloran said:
I think I saw this bike posted for sale on Kijiji recently. Looked like a good buy.

Dave O.
Yes, right you are, I bought this for $4700 and added a new front tire...
$5000 cdn right here in Toronto - my buddy bought my R1100RT c/w Ohlins
Staintune pipe and other nice additions for $5000 - I added a front tire and front brake
pads for the certs and we are all done.

Sweet!

·
Registered
26 Posts
K-Clive said:
Yes, right you are, I bought this for $4700 and added a new front tire...
$5000 cdn right here in Toronto - my buddy bought my R1100RT c/w Ohlins
Staintune pipe and other nice additions for $5000 - I added a front tire and front brake
pads for the certs and we are all done.

Sweet!
Yes you are a lucky man, I have been looking for a while and I was a day late or else she would have been mine :spank1: , could I ask the mileage on the bike, cause I am still looking, I want to get rid of my 06 K12R which is all pimped out and is sweet but lower back health says a K1200RS would be better suited for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just Missed it!

I was talking to the owner Cedric for a few days before we got together - I was really happy to see it was nice... I put bar risers on it right away and it is easier to deal with - although the steering damper is not enough with the mass of the hydraulics moved upwards... slight change = slight wallow in some situations I guess the old one was tuned for the old setup?
Sorry for stealing your Thunder! Cheers It was 54,000km

·
Registered
160 Posts
K-Clive said:
I was talking to the owner Cedric for a few days before we got together - I was really happy to see it was nice... I put bar risers on it right away and it is easier to deal with - although the steering damper is not enough with the mass of the hydraulics moved upwards... slight change = slight wallow in some situations I guess the old one was tuned for the old setup?
Sorry for stealing your Thunder! Cheers It was 54,000km
The steering damper here isn't robust enough to really deal with this nor was it designed for that.. The rear shock may be worn enough to effect this. You might try to stiffen the spring some. Consider setting it so there is about 3/4 inch sag when you take it off the stand. Adjust the rebound a little tighter.. Find the middle of the range and go just a click or so stiffer.

Next check tire pressure. try upping a little at a time up to max recommended a few pounds at a time for a day and see if that helps. You might want to keep the front in the same range of pressures so they are balanced.

Do each of these things one at a time to see if they help or hinder your handling. Raising the handlebars really wouldn't make that much of a difference. Some trueness however in that could be because it raises your shoulders a bit, not the fluids so much. Also learn to lead the bike in a turn with your head and shoulders.

Now the serious checking. Put the bike on the stand. With some firm pressure at 6 and 12 and then 3 and 9 oclock... try to wiggle the rear wheel. There should be no movement.

Then you might loosen and remount the front axle. I may have not been tightened correctly.

While checking bolts, check the rear wheel lug bolts.

The only time I have had a slight wallow was when playing around with the rear spring setting and seeing what 'soft' was, and when the rear tire had a screw in it and was down in the low 20s of pressure. My rear wheel has some movement in it, suspect pivot bearings, and had a knee down a few times today and it was solid feeling.

Good luck sorting this out.

NCS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't know if you have seen the threads in the Forum, make certain the plastic fuel line QD connectors have been replaced with metal connectors or replaced with a metal barb. If not, they will fail. Inconvenient if not dangerous.

Good riding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts