BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from picking up my new RS. After a solid week off rain in the Northeast I got a perfect day. I have learned 1) that a K bike is way heavier than a Victor and that 2) a K bike is WAY faster than a Victor. There was a fair amount of traffic, but once I hit a clear stretch I gave the wrist a little twist. Looking down, I expected to see 80 or 85, but saw 120. How do you guys still have drivers' licenses??? I'll be looking for newbie tips but I just had to tell somebody what an amazing bike it is. Regards, Bill

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
BillA said:
Looking down, I expected to see 80 or 85, but saw 120. How do you guys still have drivers' licenses??? I'll be looking for newbie tips but I just had to tell somebody what an amazing bike it is. Regards, Bill
That's what the cruise control is for ;-))
Congrats on the new ride, welcome to the Darkside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a Capris Blue 2003 K1200RS a little more than 6 weeks ago. The bike gets better the longer I own it. I have never owned a bike that made me want to ride more than this one. I wanted a bike that would slow me down. :eek: I had no concept of how easy it would be to cover distance at such high speeds.

I love powering out of corners. The combination of comfort, stability, and smooth power is intoxicating. Then again, I love rolling on the power on the straight stretches, too.

These bikes are awesome!

:rolleyes: And to think it was the cruise control that was the deciding factor in my buying decision. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
true dat!

i love my kgt too.............only one piece of advice. center of gravity is high as is weight. careful under 15 mph. that thing will drop like a bad habit. also, put the sidestand down when passenger mounts. sooner or later passenger will take a wide tack when mounting and you will be on your side on the road. trust me.........been there done that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You mean you did not keep it under 4000 RPM for the first 600 miles? Naughty!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like the first bike on the board

Bill,
You may have grabbed the honors of the first new bike on this board. I may be wrong but it does look like your timing earned you that one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Congratulations!! Here are the 1st two newbie tips

1) Buy a radar detector very soon

2) When on the side stand LEAVE YOUR BIKE IN GEAR

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, what Jack69boots said in #2, only thing I'd add is roll bike forward then lean on sidestand - pinned twice and I'm not a wrestler

·
Registered
68 Posts
BillA said:
I just got home from picking up my new RS. After a solid week off rain in the Northeast I got a perfect day. I have learned 1) that a K bike is way heavier than a Victor and that 2) a K bike is WAY faster than a Victor. There was a fair amount of traffic, but once I hit a clear stretch I gave the wrist a little twist. Looking down, I expected to see 80 or 85, but saw 120. How do you guys still have drivers' licenses??? I'll be looking for newbie tips but I just had to tell somebody what an amazing bike it is. Regards, Bill
Be careful, be very careful. That speed can be deceptive, especially in the corners.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pearls before me

bhaynnes said:
Be careful, be very careful. That speed can be deceptive, especially in the corners.
Roger that, sir. I had no intention of scraping anything today, but got both boots. I have a lot to remember and learn if I wish to live to enjoy this forum. Thanks for the advice. Bill

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Shouldn't be scraping boots.

If you scraped your boots, you should re-evaluate your riding position. If you keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, as is proper, then you shouldn't be scraping the boots in the corners. I drag my peg feelers from time to time :D , but have NEVER had a boot drag.

·
Registered
82 Posts
New (to me) 99 K1200RS Silver/blue

Hello all,
I am new to the forum, and also, I bought a new (to me ) 99 K1200RS silver/blue 2 weeks ago.
My previous bike, which I still have, is a 1995 Honda VFR750F which I put on 80,000 miles in the last 5 years. Althought it is still very servicable, it was time for a change. I wait for the annoucement of the 06 VFR (which the internet rumour mills had the bike represented as the new V5 130-140hp wonder-sport tourer coming out)...and all that was changed was bold new colors!.
I happen to pop into a BMW dealer a fews ago, and saw the K1200RS Silver/blue hiding in the corner...a test ride was arranged for a sunny saturday morning.....freeways sweepers and canyon craving. I was surprise how well the K1200RS handles corners and the wonderment of the unique no dive front suspension. On the fast highways, the K-bike hauls the freight! I was up to 120mph in no time flat..yes, you guys are right,....do pack a radar detector! The Brembo brakes are awesome and hauls the big K-bike down like an arrest-hook on aircraft carriers!

I have now riddnen the K1200RS for a couple of weekends now and can come up with some ideas.

1) the brake light tends to be very dim and only one bulb..I bought a license plate frame with twin tail-light LED lights and plans to add that to the bike so I reduce my chance of getting rear ended.

2) the horn is a little bit whimpy...so will add on BLASTERS 125 db horns.

3) I ordered the brushed alumunium instrument rings over the net, just to fresher up the worn painted bezels.

4) I plan to add some foam padding to the seat. I am 6 ft with 33 inseam and there is just not enough leg room

The unique BMW style turn signal buttons took a while to get use to.

A couple of things that all you bimmer can help me out with helpful comments.

1) The bike idles like a "bag-o-rocks"...I read on the site, that this is normal. Is there any way to make this a bit more quiet...would using different weight oil or different oils calms down the racket? (There was a few loose body panels, and I hunted down the vibrations and tighted them and fixed that)

2) The operating temperature comes up 3/4 way very quickly, and the bike runs in town a couple of hairlines below the red zone (the fans comes on)..Is this normal? No problem on highways.

3) On gas, I know not to use regular (87) but is mid-grade(89) OK, so do I have to go to premium (92) all the time? any comments?

4) Is there anyway to "drill out" the stock OEM exhaust pipe to give it a little more rumble? I do not have many coins left, and not really have loose-change to buy a Staintune or 2-Bros or Reumus...Has anyone done this? any help? I want to do this just to give the bike a little more authority!

5) Helmet Locks- What? the designer forgot about that? what's up with that?

Anyhoo, I am very happy with my new (to me) ride and my decision. The K1200RS rocks on the sweepers and curves...around town, I am getting use to the little bit extra "pork" ...
Any comments would be welcome!

Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)

·
Registered
119 Posts
"3) On gas, I know not to use regular (87) but is mid-grade(89) OK, so do I have to go to premium (92) all the time? any comments?"

I've noticed a considerable MPG and low-end grunt and ignition stablity between 87 and 94 Sunoco. I use 94 because she's happier. Only you can decide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
rhhall said:
If you scraped your boots, you should re-evaluate your riding position. If you keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, as is proper, then you shouldn't be scraping the boots in the corners. I drag my peg feelers from time to time :D , but have NEVER had a boot drag.
because of my bad right knee, I cannot get that foot on the ball of my foot. I sometimes drag it bad. I have to pull it over to the inside and angle it up the best I can. In Texas I ran off the road because I had a bandage on the knee and caught the foot so bad, I had to stand it up a bit and ran across the road and onto the shoulder. I had to stop and take the damn bandage off so I could bend it enough to get it out of the way. Anyway, if you cannot get your toes on the pegs, you need to pull your foot towards the frame as far as you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jack69boots said:
Congratulations!! Here are the 1st two newbie tips

1) Buy a radar detector very soon

2) When on the side stand LEAVE YOUR BIKE IN GEAR

Good luck and welcome!

I dropped mine the third day I had it by not putting it in gear. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
<<because of my bad right knee, I cannot get that foot on the ball of my foot. I sometimes drag it bad. I have to pull it over to the inside and angle it up the best I can>>

I'm only 155 lbs. and found the rear spring to be soft. Try cranking up the preload to near the maximum for increased ride height. Also, when hitting corners hard, push off with your outside leg and lean off the seat a bit. This will allow for less lean angle for a given corner.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The difference between 80mph, and 120mph is nothing more than a few degrees rotation of your wrist. The noise is about the same. No chain effect on the chassis that would give you a feeling of loading the rear suspension and dropping. She is just a beautiful woman with long legs. Buy her presents and ride the heck out of her. Congratulations

·
Registered
120 Posts
Watch your throttle and yes, these are deceptive machines. They will quickly exceed your riding abilities leaving you in triple digit land without viable plans. Thank goodness they have quite good brakes! These things are intoxicating!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts