BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 2001 K1200RS for a ridiculously low price. But the best part is that it has only 2,000 miles on it and has been kept in a dry, heated space its entire life. I am not exaggerating to say that it could easily pass for zero miles. The previous owner never turned a wrench on the bike except to replace tires, battery, and engine oil; not because of miles, but only because of time. It is unmolested and unmodified from bone stock with not one mark anywhere or any evidence of being ridden or even sat on.

My question for you all is this: what is the value of a bike like this? My original intent was to keep it and ride it, but then it occurred to me that this is likely to be the nicest K-RS on the planet, and that fact alone may be valuable beyond its worth as a motorcycle to many collectors or BMW fanatics. There is a well-known vehicle auction site that vets its offerings carefully and they're not convinced it is worth taking to auction. That, frankly, really surprised me. I have a friend who is selling a 7-year-old Yamaha FJR with 70,000 miles on it and is asking $13,000. Hard to believe that a bike like a showroom fresh K-RS couldn't fetch at least $10K. I would be happy with $9K.

I'm really fine keeping it but the girlfriend is not happy with the passenger accommodations, as you might expect. But if I can't get 9K I will keep it. Throwing in a few pictures below, but no images will do this bike justice; it is truly immaculate in every sense of the word.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on what a showroom-quality K-RS is worth today.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Vehicle Plant

. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Beautiful bike! I have two experiences to share with you. In October of 2002, I acquired a pristine 1992 BMW K1 from a suburban Baltimore used bike dealer. I essentially bought it sight unseen relying only on the photos posted on their web site. When the bike arrived via shipping to my home, it was in better condition (my opinion) than what the dealer described. A little over 700 K1's were imported to the U.S. over a four year period and it became apparent to me the bike belonged in a collection rather than my garage so I sold it in January of 2006 to a grateful new owner.

Fast forward to the near present when in April of 2018, I bought a pristine 2004 Ducati SS1000DS from its original owner. Same thing as the K1 only the Ducati came with full provenance; ALL paperwork including its original temporary tag. Alas, the ergonomics weren't good for me so about two years later I attempted to list it for sale on what I believe is the same web site you referred to in your post. They turned me down saying my Ducati wasn't something they were interested in.

I listed the bike on Craigslist and it sold quickly to a gent in California who took it to a bike show soon after it arrived at his home. Here it is being admired by someone who obviously has good taste in motorcycles;

Mind you that I searched their site and saw a similar Ducati model had sold for $10K a few years earlier so their stance was pure BS. I think that my opting not to use their photographer service was the reason they declined me.

Getting back to your most sweet KRS, I say ride it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice scooter. Not sure what they are worth look at Market place for an average yours will be worth 1000 to 1500 more I know I would pay more for such a bike if shopping. I had an 03 RS made it a GT for the most part for a more upright riding position

·
Registered
200 Posts
Let's clear the air here. I suspect the site everyone is referring to is Bring A Trailer. I too have been turned down by them. I my case I was trying to sell a mint condition Kawasaki ZX-12 and a one-owner mint condition Buell S1 Lightning. With each example, I would suspect there are fewer than a couple of dozen clean running examples left in the country, yet Bring A Trailer wanted nothing to do with ether of them. Now remember, we're talking about an auction site that has no problem listing bikes like the Honda 750 Nighthawks, of which there are hundreds upon hundreds examples left and are about as interesting a motorcycle as watching paint dry. Because of this, I have become quite suspicious of BAT's motives.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Let's clear the air here. I suspect the site everyone is referring to is Bring A Trailer. I too have been turned down by them. I my case I was trying to sell a mint condition Kawasaki ZX-12 and a one-owner mint condition Buell S1 Lightning. With each example, I would suspect there are fewer than a couple of dozen clean running examples left in the country, yet Bring A Trailer wanted nothing to do with ether of them. Now remember, we're talking about an auction site that has no problem listing bikes like the Honda 750 Nighthawks, of which there are hundreds upon hundreds examples left and are about as interesting a motorcycle as watching paint dry. Because of this, I have become quite suspicious of BAT's motives.
My first bike at 16 was a brand new Honda nighthawk 700 S and I thought it was a great bike for the money ran awesome comfortable riding position and the power to get him to trouble
I realize you said 750 Nighthawk now

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What might be going on over at BaT? You said, "suspicious of their motives", but do you have an opinion about what their motives might be? Just seems like bad customer relations AND business practice to me. They'll auction '90s vintage boxers with 30K+ miles but they won't auction this stunning example?! Even after I reminded them that they auctioned off a less-desirable copy of this same make/model (older and with more miles) as recently as April of this year. Apparently you have to be some version of BaT Royalty and know the secret handshake.

·
Premium Member
2004 K1200GT, 1992 K100RS (sold)
13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 81 Honda CBX 1000 on Bring a trailer a few months ago. It was a positive experience. I used their shipping. Most of their auctions are $50k to $500k. I'm not sure why they bother with motorcycles.
Jim
2003 k1200gt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wonder if acceptance has anything to do with being one of the "Alumni"? Does that get someone insider status?
Definitely appears to be an exclusive club. I have no idea what it takes to gain entry. Having a rare or exclusive motorcycle sure isn't it. Whatever criteria they may have is beyond my comprehension. They seem to stick to the east and west coasts. I've yet to hear about anyone from a smaller mid-western community having any luck getting a listing with them. Some (if not most) of the selling prices they show are completely disproportionate to the vehicle being sold.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Keep the bike and replace the girlfriend with a newer model. If she make you get rid of this beauty this will only be the beginning of you never having anything you want......trust me. As the old saying goes.."you know what makes a woman happy?..............nothing. Your friend may be "asking" that amount for the Yamaha but see what he really gets. I see things like this in the gun world. Everyone thinks they are sitting on a goldmine but they aren't. The market for these bike is a very small niche market, very small mostly due to age. I have this exact model and would LOVE to find one, or a GT, in this shape just for back-up parts. Check with your insurance people for a value, I'd never spend more than the insurance company would replace it for. Food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts