BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new BMW guy so I may have missed this one, but I was wondering if there is a nickname for our great engine?

There is oilhead, airhead, and flying brick. What is ours?

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
eljeffe said:
i really like that nickname because my first car was a 1972 Plymouth Duster... left to me by my grandmother...

it had a 225 ci motor known as the "slant-6"
i loved that car and i will love this bike

·
Registered
232 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i really like that nickname because my first car was a 1972 Plymouth Duster... left to me by my grandmother...

it had a 225 ci motor known as the "slant-6"
i loved that car and i will love this bike
No accounting for taste ;) !

Let's come up with something not tied to Chrysler Motors :v:

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
68 Posts
GregC said:
No accounting for taste ;) !

Let's come up with something not tied to Chrysler Motors :v:

Cheers, Greg
while i can see your point.....
do some homework....

1. the slant-6 by chrysler was one of the best motors of its kind ever made...
and...... do you remember anything about chrysler and mopar in the laste 60s/early 70s?

they owned the road
camaros and mustangs may have been for show....
but hemi cudas were the baddest cars of them all

2. since MB/chrysler are now one..... there is a huge german interested in chrysler today

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
And the slant six was prolly the most bullet proof engine ever made. You just couldn't kill one. Of course, with all Mopar products of that time, the starter was it's weak point and every once in awhile that leetle ceramic thang (I can't recall what it was called?) on the firewall needed replacing. If the thang wouldn't start, that was it.

Working on the slant six was like working on an old Harley..... easy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eljeffe said:
Doesn't quite have the ring of flying brick, but OK.

Brian

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
grifscoots said:
....every once in awhile that leetle ceramic thang (I can't recall what it was called?) on the firewall needed replacing. If the thang wouldn't start, that was it.....
Howdy Grif, and welcome to the "other" board!

IIRC, that would be the Ballast.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
bnblazer said:
Doesn't quite have the ring of flying brick, but OK.

Brian
How about shortening Slant 4 to S4?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually Greg, I do remember these cars in the late 60s...I was working on them to pay for my motorcycle racing habit before I went to college and wised up! Slant 6s were fine, but BORING; the comparisons with 'cudas' 389s and their 4 banger carbs is simply apples and oranges. I much preferred the Ford 289 V8 in my 65 Mustang 2+2. OK, enough of this middle aged memories. I just don't think coming up with a moniker based on Plymouth Duster's engine is the right approach; hey let's use the AMC Gremlin! I don't think so.

OK, so what do we have to work with? It has an in-line 4 cylinder engine slanted 55°, fuel injected, what else? How's about a 4SLINE ?
Knock yourselves out.
Cheers, Greg C.

·
Registered
68 Posts
GregC said:
Actually Greg, I do remember these cars in the late 60s...I was working on them to pay for my motorcycle racing habit before I went to college and wised up! Slant 6s were fine, but BORING; the comparisons with 'cudas' 389s and their 4 banger carbs is simply apples and oranges. I much preferred the Ford 289 V8 in my 65 Mustang 2+2. OK, enough of this middle aged memories. I just don't think coming up with a moniker based on Plymouth Duster's engine is the right approach; hey let's use the AMC Gremlin! I don't think so.

OK, so what do we have to work with? It has an in-line 4 cylinder engine slanted 55°, fuel injected, what else? How's about a 4SLINE ?
Knock yourselves out.
Cheers, Greg C.
i DO agree that something more "memorable" is needed
honestly...
i think that some of the "other" monikers have taken more time to emerge, if i'm not mistaken

i don't even know what the nickname is for my Brutale 910R motor....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Brut? Butch... :p

Actually, the new boxer engine acquired "hexhead" pretty rapidly, but let's just keep throwing out (not up) names and see what sticks.
But, I'm not changing my name (although I did add the C on the end). There was an interesting documentary on a fellow who gathered everyone in the world with his first AND last names at his house for dinner...it was fascinating how we identify with our names and how possessive we are with them; this shattered that notion!
Greg C

1 - 15 of 15 Posts