BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to get my Wisconsin motorcycle permit upgraded to a full license since I found my old MSF course card. (it has been a long hiatus from riding for me) DMV says no way, must have an approved Wisconsin MSF course and waiver letter... Oh well, since its been 7 years since I took the course, I was planning on doing it again anyway, but I thought that in a state with no helmet law that this was kind of anal for them to insist on. No courses up here in the Great White North until April or so depending on the weather even then...

Now is there that much of a difference between courses in each state or is this just a way to drum up local business?

WIll be taking the course at a Harley dealer with Buell Blasts as the course bike. That will be kind of fun. But does it defeat the purpose of taking the course with your own bike though?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm no instructor and can only speak about my own MSF experience in Texas, but the Basic course was for people who either had no/limited idea how to ride a motorcycle, had been off a bike for many, many years or were there as a simple way to get their license. Either way, it was very unlikely anyone owned a bike or could legally ride it to class if they did.

The Advanced MSF class IS conducted on your own bike. Of course, you have to take the Basic before you can take the Advanced :).

While it sounds like you have plenty of experience I've never heard anyone say the Basic class was a waste of their time as it will certainly give you some things to think about if you have never taken any formal motorcycle training. Otherwise, just consider it an extended Buell test ride :).

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
"Now is there that much of a difference between courses in each state or is this just a way to drum up local business?"

If you're taking an MSF course, there is very little difference in the curriculum from state to state. The current offering, the BRC, is taught in almost every state.

That said,i f you're taking the course at a Harley dealership, there's a good chance that you'll be taking the Rider's Edge course. Rider's Edge uses the BRC course as its base, it just adds a few more hours of extra stuff in the classroom, some hands on looking at gear in the showroom, stuff like that.

Usually when you take a course, either BRC or R.E. you get a waiver from the state that says you don't have to take an additional riding test, this is a very nice feature. You test on the bike that you've spent all weekend on, the stress levels are a lot lower because you're taking the test from people that you're familiar with, and they ain't wearing an "official" state uniform. :)

And, most states do NOT reqire the BRC as a prerequisite to the Experienced Rider Course. They are two totally different things in terms of why they exist.

The BRC is geared to the NEW rider. A lot of what they do is very basic stuff. "These are the controls, this is what they do" sort of thing is fully half of the range exercises.
The Experienced Rider Course assumes you know the controls on YOUR bike and concentrates on exercises you can use in the real world. I've never heard of ANY state saying that you have to go through a basic course just to get into an ERC.

I haven't heard of any state giving a license test waiver for passing the ERC either. That only comes from the BRC.

tim

·
Registered
93 Posts
shook sez said:
...I haven't heard of any state giving a license test waiver for passing the ERC either. That only comes from the BRC.

tim
Alaska gives waivers for passing the ERC as well as Nevada. Those are just 2 of the States that I am familiar with, I'm sure there are plenty more.

This only makes sense. Just as you had said, the BRC is for beginners; the ERC for experienced riders. Some states may still be teaching the MRC/RSS which is the forerunner of the BRC.

RE (Riders Edge) is a Harley sponsored thing. They use it to market their bikes and accessories to unsuspecting new riders. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yukon42 said:
RE (Riders Edge) is a Harley sponsored thing. They use it to market their bikes and accessories to unsuspecting new riders. :D
I hope they won't be disappointed when I arrive in my K1200R then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts