BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I bought by '04 K1200GT about a month ago. I was riding and I started having to increase power to maintain speed. over a period of 10 minutes it got worse and worse until no amount of power would get me any speed. I took it my usual bike mechanic (not a BMW guy) and his quoting me $1K just in labor He thinks it is the clutch. I am reluctant on his opinion and would like too see what you guys think as far as diagnosing this issue and the price for labor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It does sound like the clutch slipping for sure with those symptoms. How many miles on the bike? A dead give-away is oil leaking around the seam between the transmission housing and the engine housing. The usual problem is engine oil gets past the o-ring seal and fowls the clutch plates. I have heard that it is possible to drill a small hole in the bottom of the clutch housing a spray cleaner into the clutch housing to wash off the oil contamination. This "quick fix" gives the owner a few more months of use out of the clutch assembly. Replacement of the o-ring seal or full clutch replacement is a big and expensive job on the K bikes. $2000 is not an unusual cost from a dealer. Take it to someone who is familiar with BMW dry clutches. Ask around. They will be better able to diagnose your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Barnett clutch plates for your bike is about $160.00. Typical BMW labor rates being about $135.00 per hour, I would say you could get the whole job done at the dealership for $1200.00 or so. You could do it yourself, fairly simple job if you have the time and patience to do so. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm afraid you have experienced the 'epic' o-ring failure of the rear main seal. This is an inherent problem. You will now need a new clutch plate, and removal of everything behind the the engine to install it. Been there, done that. All because BMW installed an o-ring that was not petroleum resistant. Viton o-ring fixes the problem...once you get it all apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I haven't responded, I thought I would get an email if someone replied. Here is my latest from another forum:

Alright boys and girls, here is the down and dirty...I got screwed on the buy, clutch seems to have almost to the point of failure when I got it. Here are some pics of the clutch. No oil to be seen anywhere. Parts ordered from Motoworks instead of Motobins, they were cheaper by about 54 GBP, so 70 bucks give or take, all in all not bad on the price, saved me roughly 50% or 316 bucks WITH shipping from across the pond. Parts should be here by next Monday, so I think I'll be back on the road in 2 weeks!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't see where you said how many miles are on the bike. I would think you should have the o-ring seal mentioned replaced while the bike is opened up, as well as any other seals (clutch slave?) that are in there. You'd hate to have to go through all this again in 12 months. The o-ring rear main seal is cheap insurance...do it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see where you said how many miles are on the bike. I would think you should have the o-ring seal mentioned replaced while the bike is opened up, as well as any other seals (clutch slave?) that are in there. You'd hate to have to go through all this again in 12 months. The o-ring rear main seal is cheap insurance...do it now.
oh ya..main real seal is getting replaced. bought with 42,XXX Miles about a month ago, 45,XXX Miles currently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All fixed up! She is back on the road and in better condition than when i bought her. BTW for the 1K labor, my mechanic did the clutch replacement but also 1. engine oil change 2. Transmission oil chnage 3. Flushed the Clutch lines 4. Flushed the brake lines, and 5. full detail on the bike. All in all, not a bad deal I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts