BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2007 K1200GT with 47K miles on it, couple of months ago I noticed that when I try to rev up on the freeway the revs would go up but he bike would not accelerate as expected. I figured it is the clutch that is slipping as it did make grinding noise on take off for some time before this started happening.

I have not ridden the bike much since then and today when I was relocating it back to my garage, after couple months of storage, I could barely move the bike. The best speed I got out of it was 20-30 miles per hour. I would let out the clutch lever completely and the bike would move ever so slowly. In fact, dangerously slow on left turns....I did not rev it up past 3000 rpm as there was no point.

Is my clutch completely gone? Could it be anything else, e.g. worse than clutch plates worn out?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, the clutch would certainly be the likely candidate. The transverse K-Bikes are to the best of my knowledge the 1st time Beemer did a multi-plate clutch and it was a learn as you go effort. The 1200s where that learning curve starting with under-oiling and miss-oiling. There were a number of modifications to the Push Rod area and the Basket to correct the issue which never was completely solved but the 1300 are better.

For starters, get a Barnett clutch pack. It's much cheaper then the stock replacement and better.

You may have damage to the grooves in the inside of the Basket where the plates slide due to lack of lubrication. This will show as gouges and barbs of aluminum in the Basket Grooves. You can spend the money on a new Basket ($$$) or carefully hand file the damaged areas. If all the plate grooves are good, consider yourself lucky. A good indicator on weather or not you have Basket damage is; Did you notice any Clutch Chatter in the past? If so, you are much more likely to have some damage.

I have written a number lengthily posts on this issue that go into more detail that you should find helpful.

The only other possibility I can think of would be that your Final Drive ate itself from lack of oil changes and you have just enough gear teeth to do 30 mph for a very short period of time but I think you'd hear it and I'm sure it would damage the seals enough that gear oil would be running out of it. I have seen where some Beemer guys don't pay any attention to the Final Drive until it scatters on the street. I change the gear oil every spring and haven't had a rear-end failure yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't lube the drive shaft every year. They seem to hold their lube pretty well. When I do lube it, I use a non-metallic paste. You can service the front by pulling the front boot back. It's in the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Are you saying that the front of the driveshaft cannot fall out on its own, even if I don't hold the rear part in place?

I have always been concerned that the driveshaft might pull out of the front accidentally when I am draining the final drive oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts