BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I finally had it with the rotor bolts rusting from the inside and bleeding out on the spacers. The rust on the caliper bolts and brake areas. I took them, and a few other ugly bolts off and took them to a local boy who does Electroless Nickle finish here in Mooresville,NC. This process is used extensively throughout the racing industry here in NASCAR land. It's not a "plating" process that would add to the overall diameters. I took the bolts out, had them glass-beaded, tumbled them in my brass tumbler w/hard walnut shells and Wallah! No More RUST! :clap:

Attachments

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I did the stainless swap on most of my bolts, kits are available and pretty cheap. However, whatever you do there's a chemistry issue.

I think the oem plating is actually aluminium on steel. You have to be careful with some of the bolts which have a tension rating and most are fitted into aluminium threads which is why I think the oem uses ali plating. Even the oem plating still seems to oxidise in aluminium, particularly where there is brake fluid around which is why caliper half bolts on older bikes can be siezed in.

I'm no chemistry expert, but I'd make sure what the effect of nickel in ali would be. Even though the racing industry may use this plating, their vehicles aren't so exposed to chemicals in road asphalt or winter salt.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions

Hey Vox,
Fine and good but this should be a non-issue since the calipers are off the bike several times a year for tire replacement. If there's any kind of reaction it will be picked up at these intervals. I'll keep you posted if there are any issues. Thanks :D

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
cobbler said:
Hey Vox,
Fine and good but this should be a non-issue since the calipers are off the bike several times a year for tire replacement. If there's any kind of reaction it will be picked up at these intervals. I'll keep you posted if there are any issues. Thanks :D
I was more meaning the through bolts which some change. After all, you have a nice shiny pair each side to the forks, but leave the rusty bolts in the actual calipers - which is probably safest because they sieze in, although the stainless bolt kits often include them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good for you Cobbler , this is a wonderful cost effective process that has been used in the aerospace industry ,marine engines,etc,etc, is a far better approach than to be replacing the stock hardware with stainless steel.What grade of stainless ,what tensile strength,what is the sheer strength,.One would think that this should be addressed,mind you a for timing cover applications they may be acceptable,but for anything else not on my bike mate.check out [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts