BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So, I just replaced the brake lines, and everything was working fine. After replacing the brake lines I went for a nice long test ride (20miles or so). On the way back I stopped at Walmart to get some groceries, when I went back to start the bike it didn't do anything. Kept trying 2-3 times, it started on the 3rd or the 4th try. So I went to the gas station to get some fuel. Filled her up and no start at all luckily my dorm was right in front of me, so pushed the bike home. Now it's been around 2 months and the bike is just sitting here. Checked the switch but nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,481 Posts
Find someone in the dorm that has a volt meter our buy a cheap one at an auto parts store (no more than 15$) Check your battery voltage bike not running (sorry) should be 12.5 or more but sitting two months a bmw will kill a battery anyway. Now, with the volt meter hooked up hit the start button. Should be 10.5 vdc or more. Less is a dead battery. But since it has been two months you have to try to charge the battery via a motorcycle rated smart trickle charger. This is another expense and only found at a motorcycle shop or on line. Do the test after you charge the battery and it has gone to maintenance charge as indicated on the charger. A battery can show a surface charge of said 12.5 or more but when you do a load test, trying to start it, you will get the truth. You can charge your battery while it is in your bike hooked up if care is used. If worried remove it and work on it. The big deal is getting the leads hooked to the terminals correctly. Red to red, black to black. It helps to list your location in your profile, just city. Maybe someone from the area can come and help.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
That's typical bad starter relay.Especially the updated smart blue relay which I think came OEM on a 2001? It will take 2-3-4 hits of the start button to engage it but will fail shortly thereafter.

2 months parked without a battery charge?Or a simple battery disconnecting? Depending on the battery and it's age that may have depleted it so far that it may never fully recuperate.

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The smart starter relay is designed not to engage at battery voltage of less than ~12.3V, that is to prevent the contacts from fusing thus keeping the starter engaged even with ignition Off.Older Ks problem so BMW updated the relay/wiring to prevent that.

Owner's manual does have some warnings about that!Achtung...DO NOT!

However still a bad idea to attempt starts at lower battery voltage,like just above the ~12.3V treshold. Relay might still engage but starter could still drag and that could (and will) significantly shorten the life of the relay.

BTW I heard through the online grapevine that the smart blue relay could be difficult to find these days? Out of stock at most places that sell it for less than the BMW dealer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your battery is an AGM (Absorptive Glass Matt) construction battery, like an Odyssey PC680 or a Westco, then you will need an AGM rated charger. Choosing the Right Battery for Your Application | BatteryMINDer

A regular, older type lead acid batteryneeds 13.5v to fully charge. AGM batteries need 14.5v. An older, non AGM trickle charger will only get an AGM to 80% charge and the BMW ignition system ECU very much likes a fully charged battery to function properly, plus the AGM battery will last much longer when kept fully charged.

Also, the voltage regulator in some older model BMW bike's Bosch alternators only puts out 13.5v. EME sells a 14.5v regulator, plug and play, $27. On my old 2000 K1200RS it was a real PITA to get to the alternator, so swapped it when doing the clutch.

Charging accessories for BMW K Bike K1, K75, K100, K1100, K1200, K1300, K1600

Enlarger Font Auto part Machine Security

1 - 8 of 8 Posts