BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GT, It died while out on a ride. I get lots of crank, I have fresh spark plugs, brand new battery.

I had the problem diagnosed from a local independent shop. The Computer said it was a problem with the crank (HAL) Sensor so I replaced that. No help. So I just replaced the ECM with a used one to try that. No help. After I installed the crank sensor it did start but it wouldn't stay running for very long... maybe a couple of minutes. It would not restart.

So today, out of frustration, I start to check for power at the fuel pump. No power while the key is in the on position. I get about 3 and a bit volts at the connector for the fuel level.
I checked the #2 fuse in bank 1 and it is not blown, however, I have no power at the fuse either. Not sure how to check the fuel pump relay. when the key is turned on, should I not have power at the fuel pump connector?

Please help as this is driving me nuts and getting expensive.

Scott Diveres

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Power at the pump is momentary as you turn on the ignition.Just long enough to prime the pump/pressurize the fuel system.Couple seconds?
Digital multimeters won't give you a reading on such a short period.

Try again with a test light!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power at the pump is momentary as you turn on the ignition.Just long enough to prime the pump/pressurize the fuel system.Couple seconds?
Digital multimeters won't give you a reading on such a short period.

Try again with a test light!
I discovered that moments ago, and yes it is getting power. Still won't start however.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You probably have a bad fuel pump.I'd mount a fuel pressure gauge for a quick check but my bet is on the pump.

A comment on the shop diagnosing a bad Hall sensor? Normal the sensor fault with ignition on.It goes away as soon as engine starts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You probably have a bad fuel pump.I'd mount a fuel pressure gauge for a quick check but my bet is on the pump.

A comment on the shop diagnosing a bad Hall sensor? Normal the sensor fault with ignition on.It goes away as soon as engine starts.
Thanks, what pressure should I be seeing?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
A little over 50psi.51ish.
But if you do not hear the pump as you turn ignition on it is most probably dead!

Mind you I am running a Bosch pump.So quiet compared to the OEM VDO that I have to put my ear against the tank and listen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little over 50psi.51ish.
But if you do not hear the pump as you turn ignition on it is most probably dead!

Mind you I am running a Bosch pump.So quiet compared to the OEM VDO that I have to put my ear against the tank and listen.
Thanks very much for your helpI will explore more with the fuel pump and see how that goes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts