BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been chasing some running issues on my bike and finally today it runs well...BUT

On starting the motor it has a loud clacking sound from the front of the motor.
I am assuming timing chain slap, but what else could make such a noise? Video link enclosed.

Appart from the noise it is running well?

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
64 Posts
Hi All,

Been chasing some running issues on my bike and finally today it runs well...BUT

I am assuming timing chain slap, but what else could make such a noise? Video link enclosed.

Thanks

I know you mentioned it’s coming from the front so I’m just checking… the noise doesn’t go away if you pull in the clutch?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks

You could take a long screwdrive and place/press the tip to the front of the engine then press the handle firmly to your ear. Move the tip around chasing the noise and you'll find the location of that noise so that will get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could take a long screwdrive and place/press the tip to the front of the engine then press the handle firmly to your ear. Move the tip around chasing the noise and you'll find the location of that noise so that will get you in the ballpark.
Yes did that, Took the plunge today and started removing the timing chest cover as I am sure it is timing chain slap. Will replace the guides and the tensioner spring. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounded pretty bad in your video clip. Take some pictures of whatever you find.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,016 Posts
To replace the guides you need to remove the rocker cover too. I'd check the chain tensioner first. But your smart to get right on this if the chain is so loose it could skip a tooth and then serious trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To replace the guides you need to remove the rocker cover too. I'd check the chain tensioner first. But your smart to get right on this if the chain is so loose it could skip a tooth and then serious trouble.
Yes, Rocker cover, Crank case cover and hall sensor all removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts