BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey...... question of the day, does anyone know how the alternator is driven on the KRS/GT? I tried peeking through under the alternator but can't tell.

Of all the threads regarding 'engine' noise that sounded like a box of rocks etc. I have narrowed down 2 noises from my KRS. Eliminating these two noises, I discovered a sweet sounding engine. Just like precision machinery.

Pulling in the clutch lever while engine is idling eliminates one of the noises from the clutch or transmission gears in rotation. Now you will hear the other noise coming from the alternator. Seems the alternator is just cruising along and doesn't have much load. Try pulling an electrical load and you will hear the 'box of rocks' noise has totally dissappeared, leaving a sweet sounding engine. While holding in the clutch, I used high beams, heated grips and touching the brakes drawing a bit of current to put a load on the alternator. Now that you have both hands full, working the throttle now reveals a really sweet precision sounding engine.!!

On my '04 KRS, I believe most of the noise is coming from the alternator drive and not the dry clutch. Try it.... don't let your neighbors see what you're doing tho........:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
The alternator is directly driven off of an intermediate shaft as shown here.

Look at the generator and intermediate housing pics

Notice the little U shaped thing, item 8 , generally called rubber goobers (tech term)

On the older k bikes they were known to wear out
under constant heavy load and make that racket.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Boy, you picked two beauties to eliminate. Should run great without a clutch and alternator
I hope you do succeed. My '04 does sound like a box of rocks at idle. But then so does my '85 K100RT. I figure if the factory is too lazy to fix it in almost 20 years, I would't worry about it. The sound gives the bike "character".
Bruce C

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
It's nice to hear the motor - gives you confidence it's working!

What's the prob. with the clutch? On cages it's usually the thrust bearing and fork rattling around on the sleeve when making intermittent contact with the rotating clutch cover. Usual fix is to add a spring to pull the bearing back off the cover. This gives longer bearing life as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
eric2 said:
The alternator is directly driven off of an intermediate shaft as shown here.

Look at the generator and intermediate housing pics

Notice the little U shaped thing, item 8 , generally called rubber goobers (tech term)

On the older k bikes they were known to wear out
under constant heavy load and make that racket.

HTH!
Hi Eric,

Have you replaced these before? How complex of a job is it?

I purchased an '01 "box or rocks" last night, and looks like these need to be replaced. I am fairly good at turning a wrench; have been doing most of my own maintenance (valves, TB Synchs, etc.) on oilheads for the last five years

·
Registered
686 Posts
I haven't had to replace mine but have had the alternator off
earlier K bikes for spline lube. Its held on by 3 allen bolts
on those and I suspect the k12 is the same. Prolly need to take the tank off.

HTH!

Best,

Oh yeah, use a little grease to hold the rubber goobers in for reassembly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts