BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed two tires right away when I got my NoMar.....it went ok, much better than by hand. I was pleased. I changed out four more in the last few days and it is getting better with each experience. A buddy is coming over today so will have another chance to work on my technique.

At first I would get "stuck" right before finishing mounting the tire. Then I would try to force it which would not work. Now if I get stuck, I back the tool up and apply more lube and try again. Also, it seems sometimes the trailing end of the double headed mounting tool would pop off the bead of the tire. Demounting a tire is never a problem. Maintaining a smooth movement and keeping your momentum seems to be the key.

I also had one of the fasteners holding the plastic on the bead breaker pop off. I found the exact replacement fastener at my hardware store, but it broke as well. Steve at NoMar said others were having this problem and offered to send a replacement rivet or to send the part in so they could do it. A fine operation and kudos to Steve at NoMar.

Man, I just love the feel of a new set of tires on my GT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ditto what you said. Getting easier each time. Somebody said that they put the tire to be mounted in the sun for a while (unless you're from Cleveland or Pittsburg) and it stretched the tire some and made mounting easier. I still struggle with keeping the mounting end of the bar from rotating up and out of the tire. I have started locking a pair of vice grips on the end nearest the tire if I seem to be having difficulty. If the brides home, I just have her hold the vice grips while I do the gurilla stuff. It sure ain't as easy as their videos but it is getting easier. I've probably mounted 10 tires on it now and no nicks, scuffs or errors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditto....

I agree.....warming the tire helps. I put mine by the wood stove for a few minutes.

Today I mounted some bias ply tires from an R100. The rear was a real bear but the front wasn't too bad. I'm not sure I want to try one with an inner tube though....

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
There's an art to mounting tires without damaging them.

"It'll give the end you're trying to pry over the rim some very useful slack if you can keep the beads on the other end of the rim down in the well between the bead ridges."

This quote is taken from a website at the following link.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

The info is VERY detailed and well worth the time it takes to read and review when
changing tires.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No Mar Rules

Took me about 7-8 tires before I felt like I had it down to a fine art. Now it makes no difference if tires are warm or cold, although I do use only soft tires to begin with.

I should mention.. I use THREE of those No-Mar wheel clamps that they sell during each change.. the ones that hold the tire bead down. Two made it easy.. 3 makes it a piece 'o cake. Trust me. Me thinks this will help your problem you mentioned of getting "stuck" right before finishing mounting.

Also... No matter how many times I watched the No-Mar video, I never once figured out how to effectively use their plastic ended foofoo tire rod.. Mine kept coming out when "serious" torque was put on it. I prefer my plastic coated Coats heavy bar. Might actually ship them the other bar back as I'll never use it..

After a few more tires you'll agree with me... One of the best investments you'll ever make.

Thickasabrick said:
I changed two tires right away when I got my NoMar.....it went ok, much better than by hand. I was pleased. I changed out four more in the last few days and it is getting better with each experience. A buddy is coming over today so will have another chance to work on my technique.

At first I would get "stuck" right before finishing mounting the tire. Then I would try to force it which would not work. Now if I get stuck, I back the tool up and apply more lube and try again. Also, it seems sometimes the trailing end of the double headed mounting tool would pop off the bead of the tire. Demounting a tire is never a problem. Maintaining a smooth movement and keeping your momentum seems to be the key.

I also had one of the fasteners holding the plastic on the bead breaker pop off. I found the exact replacement fastener at my hardware store, but it broke as well. Steve at NoMar said others were having this problem and offered to send a replacement rivet or to send the part in so they could do it. A fine operation and kudos to Steve at NoMar.

Man, I just love the feel of a new set of tires on my GT.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coats bar...

You wouldn't happen to have a part number or something for that Coats heavy bar? I'd like to try it out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire changes

Tim,

That was a good link, thanks.....every little bit of knowledge helps.....eh?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The no-mar is very expensive - unless you can throw $500-$700 at a tire changer, I would go with the one from Harbor Frieght - a friend of mine has one and uses it alot - he has a track bike as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a No-Mar and have used it on four sets of tires. It really was tuff the first couple of times. Then I found a used rim and kept a couple of old tires and practiced. First - I was not worried about the rim or tire. So a few different approaches and found the best technique. You are right on target with being very fluid and firm. If you either get jerky or stop it is very difficult. Pirate is right about using three wheel clamps it makes it easier. I am not as good as Steve in his video but I can do it by myself and without every other word out of my mouth being mother -----. I use one clamp now and have no problem. Of course I have done it about 50 or 60 times now. And of course use plenty of lubrication - makes the experience much more pleasurable.
Bruce

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the HB tire changer but that is only because of price. I paid 40 for the the base and 20 for the mc adapter. I have probably done 40 to 50 sets of tires and it isn't hard. It takes a little extra time and care to not damage a wheel but you learn fast. They pop right off with the HB bar but I spoon them on which is no hassle.
My friend (170 miles away) bought the no-mar and I got to see it in action so if I could get some of the locals to kick in I would have one here. he zipped a tire on and off so fast and with ease that it makes me jealous.
I don't do enuf tires and I don't charge to do them anyway so I cannot justify that kind of money without help from others.
Later == Bobby

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cyclehilltirechanger.com has essentially the same thing as a Nomar for less $$. They are licensed by Nomar and some of the key components are the same.

Take care - Wolfhound

1 - 15 of 15 Posts