BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here,

I've searched the threads but haven't found any info regarding ABS in the USA.

Can the new GT be ordered without ABS ? Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tom Ritt said:
Can the new GT be ordered without ABS ? Thanks

Tom
Doubt it. ABS has been on all BMW K bikes for some time. It is not an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Abs

Don't think so, from what I was told yesterday at LB. The brakes, though, are only partially linked - front lever invokes both, rear pedal only the rear, which is a big improvement over the blasted binders on my LT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not Cheap ....

I'm not against ABS ,,, just dont like the complexity of the Servo assist....

Thanks for the replies .... Tom :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
It may be complex; but on the S at least they've finally gotten it right- much better feel than the earlier servo bikes. It really spoils you for non-servo brakes, too.

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
PDegnan said:
Don't think so, from what I was told yesterday at LB. The brakes, though, are only partially linked - front lever invokes both, rear pedal only the rear, which is a big improvement over the blasted binders on my LT.

Why not you can get the S with out ABS?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't confuse servo assist and ABS - they are two, distinct, exclusive elements of the braking system. Similarly, brake linking is another seperate element that provides a balance of front and rear braking when applying brakes via the front brake lever.

Servo assist is analogous to power brakes. If they fail, you still have brakes, just not assisted - meaning you will need to exert more force on the brakes to stop.

ABS is the anti-lock element to the brakes.

The three are only related in that they are part of the braking system, but are independent features. So, are you looking to eliminate the servo assist, ABS, or linked brakes. I don't believe any are optional, but the creative mind 'could' turn off the ABS, if desired.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My KRS has all three braking subsystems (ABS, LBS & Servo). In an emergency situation, you stand the bike up and pull the front lever as hard as you can. The bike does the rest. No drama.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The S can be ordered without ABS, since it is an option. The GT comes standard with ABS, so NO the GT cannot be had without ABS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts