BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me a K12R-Sport and I started it in the garage to check it out and the "Brake Failure Lite" comes on and flashes continuously. Is this normal? If not, what if any, is the cure? Appreciate any feedback. Owners manual no help.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Think Its going to flash until you ride it 3 feet or so...to get the wheels turning...normal...Look under the seat and there should be a flash code diagram telling you what the flashes mean...

·
Registered
749 Posts
BAK is right that's normal, and will happen until you develope enough wheel speed to send a signal to the ABS sensor. In fact it's letting you know your system is working correctly, and looking for a signal from the wheel sensor. Once you ride off a few feet it should turn off, and stay off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The cure is a day warm enough to ride more than 3 feet :teeth Like Bak said, then it should go off once it starts detecting wheel rotation. That freaked me out the first time I test rode a beemer at the dealership, and felt a little stupid going back inside to tell them. Ah, welcome to German quirkiness. Welcome and hope you enjoy that 'sport real soon!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The way the weather is going around here it might be May befor I get to go more than 3 feet on my new ride. :snowlaff:

·
Registered
146 Posts
75RT said:
Ah, welcome to German quirkiness.

Honda and Harley ABS systems both work the same.
No offense intended, but I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at here. Taken in the context of the original poster's question, I find it quirky that the Germans chose a failure lamp to illuminate when everything is working as intended. It requires an explanation to every person who is a first time rider on the bike. Yes I find that quirky. I am uncertain of whether Honda or Harley (or Yamaha, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki, Triumph, KTM.....) flash a failure light upon startup or not. Do you know for a fact that they flash a brake failure light as well?

I imagine you are referring to the rotating speed sensors at the wheels when making your statement that Honda and Harley ABS systems work the same---then yes I agree. As far as ABS systems however, clearly Honda has a few different ABS systems now. Their Electronic Combined ABS system using motor driven brake-by-wire is very different than conventional ABS systems that use rotating modulators. But we are swerving off-topic. And just for comic relief, I believe Harley's ABS system works depending on which way the brake lines were installed from the factory :teeth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts