BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North San Diego County BMW put my 06 GT on their computer and told me that my GT will not get the 7.0 upgrade under warranty. The dealer then claimed to have adjusted my throttle cable (although I do not feel a difference in cable slack). The throttle cable "adjustment" did not help. I still have an abrupt throttle response off idle in first through 4th gear.

So I called BMW dealer in Scottsdale Az. and they told me they would be happy to cover the upgrade under warranty for any 06 owner having complaints with throttle response. The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
Has anyone had the software upgrade "forced" on their GT and did it get rid of the abrupt throttle response when throttle is cracked open?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yumaLT said:
The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
Has anyone had the software upgrade "forced" on their GT and did it get rid of the abrupt throttle response when throttle is cracked open?
Yes, the GT's need to be forced...it's 'OK'. Randy Prade had his GT forced and is happy with the results. They are subtle, but he's happy. I didn't have my GT upgraded. I didn't have the time and my GT is smooth anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yumaLT said:
..... The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
1. Yes, its true.
2. Yes, mine was "forced".
3. Yes, its so mellow, its at least as good as my Goldwing. It still has all the power on top end, but very civilized off idle. If I slam the throttle full closed from interstate speed, and keep it there it'll burble a bit when it gets slowed down, and sometimes even backfire, like many other bikes do with aftermarket pipes. I got the cool sound for free! :D

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I just got my bike back after the upgrade was forced. It took the dealers computer 3 attempts and one download from BMW NA. But, what a difference. I can finally drive in 1st or 2nd without the on/off fueling. No more bucking etc. My dealer, Manhattan BMW will do it as a warranty issue only if you have complained about your bike not running correctly.

At first, they did not want to do it, until I was a little forceful in telling them that the 600 mile service did not do anything and how disappointed I was in this machine. Voila, they did it under warranty.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yumaLT said:
North San Diego County BMW put my 06 GT on their computer and told me that my GT will not get the 7.0 upgrade under warranty.
That's too bad. But where there is a will, there is a way. I'd be convincing them to install it and cover it under warranty or I'd be finding a new dealer to do business with.

It's completely inappropriate for BMW not to include this as a warranty issue. The K bikes have fuel mapping and ECU issues that BMW has been aware of since the bikes were released. That is why they've released several software updates in a relatively short period of time. They simply haven't gotten it quite right yet. I know each update contains software that is applicable to several different models but I also know each has had patches applicable specifically to the new K bikes that are intended to improve the engine performance, fuel mapping, and correct known issues with things like fuel gauge accuracy and the accessory plug issue on the KS, etc.

Dealer service managers can install 7.0 under warranty if there good service managers who know what their doing and wish to do it. It's all in how they document the owners complaint with the bike. Find out what 7.0 fixes, and tell your dealer that's what your having a problem with.

Sorry if I'm ranting. Every time I hear that BMW doesn't consider this something they will correct under warranty, it chaps my hide.

You pay allot for a new BMW, you should expect allot in terms of customer service.
JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
mark5lam said:
.... Every time I hear that BMW doesn't consider this something they will correct under warranty, it chaps my hide. You pay allot for a new BMW, you should expect allot in terms of customer service.
JMHO
Here! Here!

I need to ask why a BMW dealer would do something so stupid as to piss off their customer by saying something as outlandish as this. Sometimes I wonder if they intend to get money outta your wallet as well as BMW NA. Not that it ever occurs....

Just tell them it bucks and snorts and stalls on the I-5 during rush hour and you had to push it off to the shoulder and next time you're gonna call them for a tow. Hell. Call them for a tow anyhoo! Bet you get 7.0 for free.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMack said:
Here! Here!

I need to ask why a BMW dealer would do something so stupid as to piss off their customer by saying something as outlandish as this. Sometimes I wonder if they intend to get money outta your wallet as well as BMW NA........
I was wondering the same thing, was the dealer trying to get paid twice?

I just sent an email to BMW complaining about North San Diego County BMW Motorcycles. It makes no sense to me. The dealer knows the GT has fueling problems but will not offer the fix under warranty. What is a warranty for?

I told their service department that my motorcycle was dangerous coming out of curves when I have let off the throttle to enter the curve and then reapply the throttle coming out of the curve. It bucks. They didn't care. I was really surprised by their apathy. They repeated, "If the computer says no upgrade, no upgrade." What really upset me was the way they said they adjusted the throttle cable. They had not or the amount they adjusted was not significant. I knew exactly the amount of slack there was before I took the bike in. I think it was their way to say they had done something and bill BMW.

I live right between San Diego and Phoenix. I am just going to go over to Scottsdale where they have already told me that the 7.0 upgrade will be under warranty and they have already figured out how to force update rather than fight with North San Diego County BMW,

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yumaLT said:
I was wondering the same thing, was the dealer trying to get paid twice?
Whoa Whoa! Guys! It's my understanding that the dealers are NOT getting reimbursed to do the ver 7.0 upgrades. So they are NOT getting paid twice.

Of course, my dealer offered to do the upgrade for free. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time that day. But that goes to show how important the dealer/customer relationship is. This is why I buy most of my maintenance items from my dealer. Costs a little more, but they always scratch my back too. You ever buy the techs a couple of pizzas? Why not? You'd be amazed at the free crap you get for $20 worth a pizza once or twice a year. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
messenger13 said:
Whoa Whoa! Guys! It's my understanding that the dealers are NOT getting reimbursed to do the ver 7.0 upgrades. So they are NOT getting paid twice.
That is interesting because the dealer that refused to do my upgrade said he would not do the upgrade because he would not get paid. He said that the only way he would get paid is if the computer indicated an upgrade was needed.

Joe, does this mean that dealers that do the 7.0 upgrade under warranty are not paid by BMW to do the warranty work and therefore are doing the upgrade out of the goodness of thier hearts or in your case for pizza?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yumaLT said:
Joe, does this mean that dealers that do the 7.0 upgrade under warranty are not paid by BMW to do the warranty work and therefore are doing the upgrade out of the goodness of thier hearts or in your case for pizza?
I can't answer this with 100% certainty. There may be gray areas and situations where the dealers do get paid, if they can convince BMW that it was a true warranty or safety issue. But I'm pretty sure that by and large, the dealers do not get compensated for upgrading an S4 bike to ver 7 just because the customer wants it.

Frankly, I am waiting for the next release . . . ver 7.x or ver 8.0? A little birdie told me that ver 7.0 did not fix all of the gremlins that are troubling the 'S' like it was supposed to. So certainly a new version isn't far off. Also, the same little birdie told me that BMW is about to update the entire GT-1 software as it doesn't like talking to our beloved GTs all that well. (That's why our GTs need to be forced into an upgrade.) IIRC, at that time, our GTs may be getting a complete firmware overhaul. We'll see.

Until then, I'm just gonna keep riding it like I stole it! :D

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Mine had to be forced.

As for the warranty thing. I have bought a bunch of bikes and farkle from my dealer, I support him, he supports me. A dealer that wanted to get cheap over doing the upgrade, especially during a service, would not be selling me another $20K+ motorcycle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
messenger13 said:

Of course, my dealer offered to do the upgrade for free. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time that day. But that goes to show how important the dealer/customer relationship is. This is why I buy most of my maintenance items from my dealer. Costs a little more, but they always scratch my back too. You ever buy the techs a couple of pizzas? Why not? You'd be amazed at the free crap you get for $20 worth a pizza once or twice a year. :)
My understanding from "MY DEALER" was he doesn't get paid for, nor does he charge for, any warranty claims. Something with his arrangement with BMW. ???

I also buy my service tech lunch every time he works on my bike, until we can buy our own GT-1's, we are all kinda over a barrel. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine Forced As Well - The Whole Story

OK, so I scheduled my 12,000 mile service after my last trip. Dropped it off first thing in the morning, got my loaner (650 Dakkar), and rode away having scheduled the 12,000, including a check of my centerstand (can no longer get it off by rocking in my garage. has become harder and harder to do so since I bought it, which I noticed when I 'walked it' across my garage floor one morning while trying to rock it off), and the install of the 7.0 software.

Returned the next morning as scheduled.

-Was told the 12,000 was complete.
- Was told there was nothing wrong with the centerstand.
- Was told that no software update was needed; that I already had the latest update available.

Well, I knew this couldn't be true, because I knew (from the owners boards) when the update was released, and my bike hadn't been back to the dealership since that time. I insisted (all debates from this point were with the assistant service manager) that I did NOT have the updated software, and unless BMW had figured out how to update software on bikes via osmosis or thought transferance, it was not possible for me to have had the updated software. He asked me to wait in the showroom, and returned with a print-out that indicated from their computer that 'no upgrades necessary'. Fortunately, I remembered a posting (from this board, I think) where someone mentioned the update had to be forced. I got on my salesman's computer, found the posting, printed it out, and took it to the assistant service manager.

He went back into the shop, spoke with the service manager, and they pulled my bike back into the shop to upgrade me to 7.0; all the while making me feel like I was somehow trying to get something I had no right to have in the first place - which is what set my jaws after buying 4 bikes there in the last 5 years, and doing ALL service activities there, and don't even get me started on clothes and farkles.

Anyway, about 45 minutes later, I went back into the shop, and the Tech showed me that the new software, after he overrode to 'no upgrade necessary' condition, was indeed now installed. BMW simply hadn't told these guys they would get that message, and mine was the first GT they had done. I frankly don't see why that should be my problem - it is not our responsibility to train BMW service agencies.

So now, instead of dropping off the loaner (a nice aspect of my dealership) and leaving at 8:30, it's about 11 - 11:30. I go into the service desk area to pay for the service, and the asst. service manager starts to change the bill to reflect the 45 minutes required to update the software. I basically said 'wait a minute, you're not going to charge me for that, are you'? He said 'well, I have to pay the tech for the time required to do the software install, After all, it is an upgrade'.

I basically indicated:

1) It is an update, not an upgrade, and not a farkle. Anything BMW issues to fix problems is not, in my opinion, something extra I should pay for on my $24,000 bike.

2) Even if this were debatable, the update should have been done as requested (and which they had agreed to do) while the 12,000 mile service was being done, and no additional tech time would have been required. This would have been the case if they had been supplied with the information about the install that should have come from BMW, rather than their customers, which is not my fault or responsibility.

The asst. service manager said 'fine. I'll figure something out on the paperwork', and didn't charge me for the update. I paid the bill, he tossed me my keys, and I rode away.

I haven't felt the same way about the dealership since.

Sorry for the rant.

YMMV

·
Registered
170 Posts
no update either

TouringProfessor said:
-Was told the 12,000 was complete.
- Was told there was nothing wrong with the centerstand.
- Was told that no software update was needed; that I already had the latest update available.
Well, just got back from my appointment with my dealer to have the update done - after an hour I get the word... "your bike is not indicating any updates needed".

After discussing logically why that doesn't make sense (mine was the first at this dealer), they still wouldn't do it - claiming that the bike won't let them update anything. Now I'm a good customer of theirs - 4 bikes - and I believe they weren't just trying to get rid of me. I think they honestly don't know so it didn't seem worth it to press the issue and get everyone in a wonderful mood on a really nice Saturday morning :) The throttle isssue isn't that important - at least for now.

Maybe it is a BMW training / communication problem, maybe the update isn't really for the GT, maybe the dealer's master machine needs updating, maybe who knows.... ????

It'd be nice to get a straight answer from BMW here.... :wtf

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
I did my 6K service today and refused to do the upgrade. The dealer intended to istall the 7.0 free of charge and he even did not ask me.
Only mentioned that I would have to wait some extra hour because of the upgrade so I had the chance to prevent it.
Just I do not need it, the bike is fine for me. :))

·
Registered
505 Posts
I stopped by North County BMW today to schedule my 18K mile service. I asked them to install the 7.0 software when they do my service and they said no problem, no mention of any charge. I bought my S from them and they do all my service. They have always treated me well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kneedragger said:
I stopped by North County BMW today to schedule my 18K mile service. I asked them to install the 7.0 software when they do my service and they said no problem, no mention of any charge. I bought my S from them and they do all my service. They have always treated me well.
You have to be kidding!! Are you sure North San Diego County BMW didn't say." We will put it on the computer and see if you need the upgrade, if you don't we will have to charge you? " I l told them it was dangerous on curves. I still did not get the upgrade after the computer said no.

If you get the upgrade, under warranty, it may be because I raised hell with the owner over the phone after I learned Scottsdale would do the upgrade under warranty. He knew he had lost me as customer yesterday. He may have called Scottsdale BMW and found out other dealers were offering the upgrade under warranty, maybe it is because you are paying for an 18k service. They were willing to upgrade my bike but wanted to charge for it.

If you do get the upgrade under warranty, please, please let me know. I want to followup with BMW with a second email if you do.

I bet they charge you for the upgrade or hide the cost in the 18k service. You should call another dealer and find out the charge for an 18 k service and then compare it with what North San Diego County BMW charges you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
messenger13 said:

Hey Joe,

Where do you have your service done?

Paul
2006 K1200GT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts