BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back brakes are drum and even after i bought new shoes there is still no rear brakes and I have adjusted it all the way tight and still nothing, does anyone out there have this type bike and give me some hint as what to do next is there another adjustment somewhere else that i do not know about. I would really hate to take a dirt bike to the shop to get fixed

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
scottkr said:
The back brakes are drum and even after i bought new shoes there is still no rear brakes and I have adjusted it all the way tight and still nothing, does anyone out there have this type bike and give me some hint as what to do next is there another adjustment somewhere else that i do not know about. I would really hate to take a dirt bike to the shop to get fixed
Scott

A big thing is your definition of "no brakes". You really don't want them to lock-up in the dirt. But, using the rear brake only should slow it to a stop eventually.
There used to be an old dirtbike method of truing new brake shoes. You have to glue sandpaper to the inside of the drum, re-mount the wheel and sand the brake shoes into alignment.
You might try over at www.thumpertalk.com for a newer method to do this.

Bruce C

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean there is no rear brakes at all
i will give them a try
thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
Try repositioning the brake actuating arm on the backing plate by loosening the pinch bolt and rotating the arm aft one or two serations and reinstall. Adjust the link rod so that the cam has higher lift inside the drum whem the pedal is stepped on. It's easier than it sounds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is what i did after someone told me about that. cant believe i did not see that earlier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts