BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Spring will come at some point here in New England (i was told)so I am in the process to get my to-do list together. One item on the list are new tires for my K1300S.
What are you folks riding out there? Road Pilot 5, Corsas?
I don’t do a lot of milage right now and avoid rain as much as possible, so it doesn’t have to be a touring tire for the spirited sunday rides.

Just looking for some good insight and experience to narrow down the the field!

Thx!
M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
So my opinion:

The tire is one of the most important pieces of your bike. It’s your contact patch from the ground, and can transform a bad motorcycle into a good one and a good motorcycle into a bad one.

That said: all tires from a reputable manufacturer are good. There are no bad tires. Everything you “research” about them is (generously): 95% marketing baloney, 5% material.

They’re trying to convince you that their latest and greatest “new” creation is somehow better than their last latest and greatest creation, and that if you don’t buy their newest creation, you cannot ride fast/hard/long, as if we haven’t been able to ride fast/hard/long ever in human history up until their latest and greatest new creation hit the market.

The only meaningful difference between tires is compound chemistry and how it’s put together (dual compound, progressive compound, molded differently, etc.).

AS SUCH. I just buy the cheapest tires I can find. Revzilla had overbought a bunch of T30 Evo tires and were selling them for $100 (date code like 2017-2019). I used the bridgestone rebate and bought 4 of them for $300, or about $75/tire. They are great, and when my bike has eaten one, I replace them myself to keep costs down. If it’s cold I need to warm it up a bit, else it gets slippery.

If I were to buy a new tire now, since I bought the last stock fo T30 Evo’s from Revzilla, I’d probably get this, or a Dunlop GPR300.

For my front tire, the same rules apply, although it might be worth spending a little more on a nice one since it’s cheaper, and will last more than 2000 miles. I wouldn’t spend more than $100 on one, and will see what I can find in the $70 range.

Revzilla is truly great btw, and if you buy through them, they will mount it at a local cycle gear for $30.

This is my opinion, others may disagree, and that’s fine.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
137 Posts
FC, thought you we’re running the ContiMotion tires that you scored a deal on? Maybe that was someone else replying to your tire rant thread?

·
Registered
566 Posts
FC, thought you we’re running the ContiMotion tires that you scored a deal on? Maybe that was someone else replying to your tire rant thread?
Might have been. I've since gone through at least 3 rear tires

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have on my k1200s Pirelli Angel GT's A spec first generation. I'm on my second set. I have also used them on my Kawasakis in the past. Stay away from the Pirelli angel GT2's they are horrible and with the front tire always catching rain lines in the road it makes the front end jittery. I'm surprised they're still in production from such a highly reputable company. If they still make the gt2s when I'm ready for tires this summer and I can't get the first generations then I'm going to switch back to Michelin pilot road series.

Also do some research and remember always check the negative reviews not just the positive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tires are like suspension - the best you’ve ridden is the best you know. If tire life is your priority, then any black rubber rim protector will suffice. If your exposure to straight and level flight is limited to the slog to your favorite twisty road, then it matters a lot.

You may be like me - more concerned with performance than longevity. I assume this is a possibility because you mentioned Supercorsas as a option and they’re decidedly not famous for long life. I was last tire shopping during the late summer and selection was greatly narrowed by supply issues. In what I still consider a compromise, I opted for the Metzler Sportec M7RRs. So far I’ve been really surprised at how good they are. They balanced with very little weight, they warm up quite quickly, and they’re very “neutral” in their steering response. They’re happy to maintain whatever lean angle you’ve got, and a positive input is required to change it. They don’t “fall in” to corners as a tire with a more triangulated profile will. In my experience, Dunlops will display more of this trait than Michelins, Bridgestones, or now these Metzlers. The Dunlop Q4s are a favorite of some track riders. I had the Michelin Power RSs on my KTM Supermoto and I don’t think I ever got them to unstick. Not a fair comparison though, since that bike weighs about half a K13’s girth and has 1/3 the horsepower.
Motorcycle News (MCN) in the UK has a video with their widely respected lead test rider Michael Neeves discussing track riding. In it he makes the point that the riding/racing school he instructs at uses Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires because A) it’s more than enough tire for 90% of students, and; B) they can’t afford either the time or the expense of repeatedly replacing track oriented tires on their track mule bikes. Those tires are likely comparable to Road 5s.

Revzilla has tons of tire reviews. Unfortunately, most of them are written by morons. The rest are written by people who have bikes that are not comparable to ours like Ninja 300s. Look for reviews from guys riding Hayabusas and ZX-14s. There’s a lot more of them than K12/13 riders and at least the weights and horsepower are in similar ranges.

It’s really tough to make specific recommendations, but it sounds to me like you’re priorities are in the general ballpark of what the industry loosely calls “aggressive street/limited track”. The next step “up” is “street legal track” which is about as close to a cut slick as you can legally run on the street.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Folks,

Spring will come at some point here in New England (i was told)so I am in the process to get my to-do list together. One item on the list are new tires for my K1300S.
I don’t do a lot of milage right now and avoid rain as much as possible, so it doesn’t have to be a touring tire for the spirited sunday rides.

Thx!
M

Pirelli Angel GT A spec, good tires that are nice and sticky and will get some good wear without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pirelli Angel GT A spec, good tires that are nice and sticky and will get some good wear without breaking the bank.
I was looking at the Angel GT, since I ride solo and without luggage I try to figure out if I can get away with the regular spec and not A. On the other hand they cost pretty much the same as Road 5’s…. soooo many choices… and nothing in stock anywhere anyways

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run Angel GT A on my K1200GT - ride that two up a lot so like the added sidewall stiffness. I have run Dunlop Q3, Pilot Road 4 and Road 5 on my K1200S. All of them were great. Maybe a little more stickiness and little less life on the Q3 but not a significant difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Folks,

Thx!
M

Try sport attack 3... or 4.(conti) I love them.. good sport/tour Tyre

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a K1300GT. I've used Michelin Pilot Road 2s all the way up to Road 5s with good milage and performance. They've all been good tires aside from the PR3. Michelin claims great improvements with each itteration, but I never saw it. I've escaped the price premium of Michelin and am now happily using Dunlop Road Smart 4s.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ditto the Road Smart 4's. Went from Pilots to the Road Smart 4's on a '03 GT (brick) and the difference was night and day.
My opinion on the handling characteristics of the Pilots on that particular chassis isn't very high. Someone at BMW didn't do their homework when they offered the Pilots as OE on that bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I appreciate all the responses, gave me a lot of options to look into. At the end it was between the Angel GT (A spec) and the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE.

I placed the order for the Metzelers , but only because the price difference was so minimal with a pretty good deal at Dennis Kirk and I figured they will fit my riding style the most.

Thanks again Folks, stay healthy and ride safe!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I rate Michelin Road 5s - good in the dry and amazing in the wet, and they steer quickly but are stable (where the Pilot Road 4 was known to be squirmy). They last well too. The 190/55 rear was withdrawn last time I went to buy a set - apparently the lettering rubbed slightly on some (not all) BMW K1600s so Michelin decided to withdraw it. Looks like they're available again (in the UK at least).

In the meantime I bought a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 SEs. I've found these steer a lot slower than the Road 5. Took a while to get used to. I also found when really going for it, that the front understeers to the point where it feels like it's going to wash out....But I was riding with the ESA on the 2-up setting when solo to get the rear up and steepen the rake a bit. I've recently started riding on the solo setting and its better. With the Road 5s I could be on the 2-up setting in dry or wet and it was great - very flickable and grippy. I really liked the Metzeler Roadtec Interact 08s that the 01's replaced and lots of people swear by the 01s (esp in the wet) so maybe its just me. N.B. my bike's a K1300GT and I've fitted 1300S HP Motorsport wheels with a 6" (190/55) at the rear so there may be not direct comparison anyway

The other thing I've about 01's is that they wear out very quickly - got lots of friends with squared off ones after 2k miles

Btw Pirelli and Metzeler is the same company so I suspect the Angel GT and the Roadtec 01 may use the same carcass.

On other bikes I really rate the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2 - very sticky in the dry (fast road + track days) and not terrible in the wet. The Diablo Rosso Corsa 3 is meant to be more road/wet oriented.

Several mates have recently fitted Metzeler M9RRs and are absolutely raving about them in dry and wet and apparently these are getting good road-tester reviews. The same guys previously rated the Diablo Rosso Corsa 2 and the Bridgestone BT22.

A guy who runs one of the well-known bike tyre places in London has a K1300S and reckons the Michelin Power GP is an amazing tyre on these for fast road and track use - I've seen pics of his looking very sticky after a track day.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
157 Posts
I appreciate all the responses, gave me a lot of options to look into. At the end it was between the Angel GT (A spec) and the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE.

I placed the order for the Metzelers , but only because the price difference was so minimal with a pretty good deal at Dennis Kirk and I figured they will fit my riding style the most.

Thanks again Folks, stay healthy and ride safe!!!!

Glad you didn't take chicken little's opinion and buy cheap tires.
I've been so happy with Micheline Road tyres I've no reason to switch and I also avoid rain like the plague but that is the best reason for road 5's the rain. I'd rather be safe than careful. I ride to race and race to live. I have as much fun today as I did 55 years ago and still believe nothing is more important than your back rubber.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most of us don’t ride in the rain or are extremely careful if caught in the rain and that’s maybe 1% of the time!
so with that said a tire that’s grips for performance in the curves when 99% of your riding is dry roads!
Cruising straight doesn’t need a lot of traction either, it’s curves that need traction!
So why not concentrate on a tire that grips the best in the curves and enjoy the bike, if it rains then just be careful and ride slow.
Looking for a Rain traction is last on my list! When it rains I either pull over and grab a coffee or im so gently with brakes, throttle and lean that just about any tire will work! Just my view!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Most of us don’t ride in the rain or are extremely careful if caught in the rain and that’s maybe 1% of the time!
so with that said a tire that’s grips for performance in the curves when 99% of your riding is dry roads!
Cruising straight doesn’t need a lot of traction either, it’s curves that need traction!
So why not concentrate on a tire that grips the best in the curves and enjoy the bike, if it rains then just be careful and ride slow.
Looking for a Rain traction is last on my list! When it rains I either pull over and grab a coffee or im so gently with brakes, throttle and lean that just about any tire will work! Just my view!
I hear where you are coming from, technically a sport tire would have been the best choice for my riding style except for one factor where I just wanted to play it save with a sport touring tire: I tend to start to ride early in the season and as late as possible. So I am facing pretty cold roads , freezing ambient temps with a fair amount of moisture on the street for a good bit of the ride and I just don’t trust a sport tire to keep up with temps below or around freezing and the frost on the roads.
So I am sure the Metzeler I picked will check all the boxes for me and I won’t be able to outride the tires abilities because the road conditions in New England just don’t provide for it.YMMV

1 - 20 of 33 Posts