BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Glad you didn't take chicken little's opinion and buy cheap tires.
I've been so happy with Micheline Road tyres I've no reason to switch and I also avoid rain like the plague but that is the best reason for road 5's the rain. I'd rather be safe than careful. I ride to race and race to live. I have as much fun today as I did 55 years ago and still believe nothing is more important than your back rubber.
Totally agree tires are important, totally disagree spending more money guarantees a better tire!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've generally found that it's pretty tough for most average people street riding to surpass the cornering capabilities of the major brand sport touring radials that I've tried. Metzler, Continental, Dunlop all on a ST1100. Did plenty of toe dragging on that bike & never managed to slide a set of radials in a corner, and the ST1100 is a heavy pig. Bias plys were another matter, you could drift the rear in a hard corner without working too hard at it.
The K12GT is a little different, Dunlop's are point and shoot in corners. The Pilots.... Didn't' actually slide them in corners but they "felt" like they wanted to push the front. If you're ok with that feeling I suppose it doesn't really matter. They stayed fairly well planted. With any of the major brand radials I think it's mostly rider preference on feel. For me I'd rather it feel like the rear is getting loose than the front wanting to push. I just feel more in control in that situation.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
I've generally found that it's pretty tough for most average people street riding to surpass the cornering capabilities of the major brand sport touring radials that I've tried. Metzler, Continental, Dunlop all on a ST1100. Did plenty of toe dragging on that bike & never managed to slide a set of radials in a corner, and the ST1100 is a heavy pig. Bias plys were another matter, you could drift the rear in a hard corner without working too hard at it.
The K12GT is a little different, Dunlop's are point and shoot in corners. The Pilots.... Didn't' actually slide them in corners but they "felt" like they wanted to push the front. If you're ok with that feeling I suppose it doesn't really matter. They stayed fairly well planted. With any of the major brand radials I think it's mostly rider preference on feel. For me I'd rather it feel like the rear is getting loose than the front wanting to push. I just feel more in control in that situation.
I commend you for such an in depth analysis and you nailed it as far as why I hated the Dunlops, the loose rear end and fish tailing, which I loved selling Trans Ams totally freaked me out after years of riding a Bandit which could do a 90 degree wheel stand turn.

Going from a short tall bike to a long and low one required me to be long and low as well. I now Point and shoot the K1200 which stays planted while I change my body position more than a GP rider.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Back when I started riding (which was before radials), motorcycle tires were reasonably cheap and if you mounted up something you absolutely hated you could justify switching it out. Couple weeks ago I dropped $250 (with mounting, off the bike) for a new Road Smart for the GT. At that rate you feel obligated to wear them out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Back when I started riding (which was before radials), motorcycle tires were reasonably cheap and if you mounted up something you absolutely hated you could justify switching it out. Couple weeks ago I dropped $250 (with mounting, off the bike) for a new Road Smart for the GT. At that rate you feel obligated to wear them out.
Hence why I believe it is marketing. Similar to when you buy ski equipment, there’s some arbitrary “latest, greatest, must-have” and flashy colors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Agreed ! With marketing and online reviews being so untrustworthy! Every company wants to sell its products as the “best”’and can hand select reviews for marketing purposes!
Example my old Saab, automotive reviews said it was unreliable and cost of ownership was through the roof! Well Couldn’t have been so far from the truth, after 15years of reliable ownership and 230k miles it’s best car I’ve ever owned. Miss that old Saab.
Moral of the story is people / company’s have a benefit form spreading “falsehood information” or call it “not so accurate information” or opinion not factual and many easily fall for this!

·
Registered
112 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!! You mean my new driver won't really hit the ball further and straight down the middle of the fairway every time..... that it's all marketing????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Obviously tires are the only part of your bike that touches the ground.
It rains a lot in Florida ! It’s lovely to be able to ride year round too. A ride that starts predawn 7 AM will see weather thats foggy damp, then by mid morning baking hot and sticky 😄 then early afternoon rain showers; rain slick roads wet spots and then super slippery sugar sand washed into the road corners from the dirt farm orchard roads in the fun country backboards.
Even a hot summer day can give you a surprise sun shower ..bright days sunny sudden brief rain showers.
On my K bike that takes me out all day and in all those conditions tire choice is critical. $250 installed for a rear Road 5 is cheap for a year of fun in wet dry cold blazing Florida hot and still be amazingly sticky and confidence inspiring...no more tiptoeing on anything but perfect roads.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sports equipment Tread

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Road 5 is a great tire, although I preferred the tread design of the Road 4 better.
Michelin can easily deliver 6-7k + miles of average safe riding.
But for those of us that want more.
My Bridgestone S22‘s wear out in 2.5k-3k miles of actual sport riding and hugging the curves at full lean and power, holds the line steady and grips like no other!
So riding style is the deciding factor for tire choice, you Just need to match your riding style to a comparable tire. what tire you use and your wear pattern says a lot about how you ride.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
The Road 5 is a great tire, although I preferred the tread design of the Road 4 better.
Michelin can easily deliver 6-7k + miles of average safe riding.
But for those of us that want more.
My Bridgestone S22‘s wear out in 2.5k-3k miles of actual sport riding and hugging the curves at full lean and power, holds the line steady and grips like no other!
So riding style is the deciding factor for tire choice, you Just need to match your riding style to a comparable tire. what tire you use and your wear pattern says a lot about how you ride.
A good post.
When I say "Racing isn't life or death it's more important than that" there is a message behind the humour. As a competitor I don't want equipment to determine the outcome.
In everyday riding we may be faced with an unplanned life or death decision. Near the end of my midnight run I was cut off by a no headlight truck as I accelerating to warp speed. I can still say "I've had no accidents in over 30 years" because my bike is dialed in and all I need do is react ...

·
Registered
112 Posts
"I've had no accidents in over 30 years" because my bike is dialed in and all I need do is react ...
An old motorcyclist I knew and rode to both ends of the country with to BMWRA Rallies once told me when I was just starting to ride that there are 2 kinds of motorcyclists, "Those who have crashed, and those who are about to". He put in well over 300,000 miles in the saddle, all on BMW bikes.
Best not to tempt fate when it comes to riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
149 Posts
Why would any one tempr fate?
What does that even mean?

I prefer the Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared

Most accidents happen near home .
I never leave home without boots, gloves,leathers and a helmet.
The bike has to be safe.
Accidents are rarely the bikers fault.
I'm improving my horn button for my own safety.

Be Prepared

21 - 33 of 33 Posts