BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh! Ran an errand this afternoon and the bike wouldn't start.

Don't know if it is the original or not. It is silver colored. Haven't had it out of the bike, just put it on a Tender.

Looks like a gel, no doubt pricey. Hope it gets me to Daytona and back tomorrow.

Comments and/or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If it is a GEL, DO NOT put it on a regular charger/tender ! Sorry I am shouting but careful there you may cook it. Do you have a Voltmeter? Put it on there as you charge, if it goes over 14.3 STOP CHARGING....!

I got away with that once, but with a 1 Amp charger for 4-5 hours, monitoring the Voltage all along, just to get the bike started then went for a ride to finish charging. You are much better off jumpstarting your bike than charging with a regular charger, but them BMW Gels are....problematic to say the least, and they had some bad batches a couple years back. :(

Here some reading on batteries and chargers:http://www.batteryfaq.org/

·
Registered
513 Posts
if you have a real bike get a real battery charger look at this on http://www.xtremecharge.com/

I sell them in Nevada and Arizona

this is the best you can get. it will charge ANY 12 volt battery correctly and maintane the battery by eliminating the sulfation build up on the battery plates.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very well then, Odyssey it is.

$124.65 at One Source Batteries. Free shipping.

Thanks guys.

·
Faster than poop
32 Posts
An AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery is the way to go. And I'm sure the Odyssey (AGM) battery is great, but it's pricey. I got a Chinese AGM battery years ago, at Batteries Plus, for less than $50. It's lasted far longer than the brand new, ultra expensive BMW gel battery that came with the bike which only gave about three months of useful life. Gels will not tolerate over-voltage or over-current. The gel separates from the plates, greatly reducing battery capacity and life.

Morale #1 of the story: don't let the dealer charge your battery for you.
Morale #2: you don't need to spend a ton of money on that battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
six_rabbits said:
An AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery is the way to go. And I'm sure the Odyssey (AGM) battery is great, but it's pricey. I got a Chinese AGM battery years ago, at Batteries Plus, for less than $50. It's lasted far longer than the brand new, ultra expensive BMW gel battery that came with the bike which only gave about three months of useful life. Gels will not tolerate over-voltage or over-current. The gel separates from the plates, greatly reducing battery capacity and life.

Morale #1 of the story: don't let the dealer charge your battery for you.
Morale #2: you don't need to spend a ton of money on that battery.
2001 BMW K1200RS. Still have the ORIGINAL, STOCK BMW gel battery. Still going strong after 5 riding seasons, and 9 years in total (RS bought new in 2002, stored between fall of 2006 and fall of 2009)! The secret to gel type batteries is a good battery tender, like the BMW variety or equivalent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
oem battery from 11-04

just replaced my battery a few weeks ago and have never had it on a a battery tender. I pulled the battery out adn it was stamped 11-04. I ride about 9-10k year so I guess that helps.

got the new orange battery everyone is talking about so we will see how this one does!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunchaser said:
Okay, I am TIRED of push starting the beast! Just a matter of time before my foot slips and I drop it. So, before that happens I will get another battery.
Well, the new battery is working great. No more starting issues. I've onlly had the bike for three weeks. The guy got it from was selling it for his brother who is serving in Iraq and he probably didn't take that good of care. It came with a Tender, but I suspect it wasn't being used.

Started a new job this week and it's been cold here in FL, so I have been riding the Bmr, and today while joy riding for lunch, I got careless at a stop and over she went. Good thing a couple of guys were there to help get it up. Argh!! Heavy aren't they?

Keep the rubber down.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sunchaser said:
Well, the new battery is working great. No more starting issues. I've onlly had the bike for three weeks. The guy got it from was selling it for his brother who is serving in Iraq and he probably didn't take that good of care. It came with a Tender, but I suspect it wasn't being used.

Started a new job this week and it's been cold here in FL, so I have been riding the Bmr, and today while joy riding for lunch, I got careless at a stop and over she went. Good thing a couple of guys were there to help get it up. Argh!! Heavy aren't they?

Keep the rubber down.
Yes they are!! almost lost mine today..got on bike..bike was running and I went to heel the side stand up and my fat ass calf hit the shifter and threw it in gear...I didn't have the clutch pulled in at that moment...HOLD ON!!!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I wonder if that's the one unfortunate scenario where the interlocks wouldn't help you?

But I'm still thinking, if the sidestand was actually down the motor should have cut, although you still get that frightening lurch forwards - is that what happened?

When my interlocks weren't working, I learned my bad habit of starting the bike on the stand before I got on it. Fortunately like you, I caught the bike before it flew off the stand and no tipover.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
voxmagna said:
I wonder if that's the one unfortunate scenario where the interlocks wouldn't help you?

But I'm still thinking, if the sidestand was actually down the motor should have cut, although you still get that frightening lurch forwards - is that what happened?

When my interlocks weren't working, I learned my bad habit of starting the bike on the stand before I got on it. Fortunately like you, I caught the bike before it flew off the stand and no tipover.
yes that sudden lurch is the killer..just lucky the bars were straight ahead..thank god the bike died..but actually it would probly have just pulled away...didn't think about it stalling cause of the interlock...good point....but I guess it works

·
Registered
501 Posts
BAK04GT said:
Scorpion AGM same spec as OEM $83.00 delivered http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/sYT51913-22.html just got one the other day...came USPS 4 days ground from OR. to N.H. no adapters exact fit
I'm ready to order one of these based on your recommendation. Can I be assured that the YT51913-22 model is the exact one for my '03 RS? I don't want to pull mine before the new one is here (just not convenient at this point in time).

Is there anything else I need to be aware of if I order this?

TIA,
Chris

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
chrispat said:
I'm ready to order one of these based on your recommendation. Can I be assured that the YT51913-22 model is the exact one for my '03 RS? I don't want to pull mine before the new one is here (just not convenient at this point in time).

Is there anything else I need to be aware of if I order this?

TIA,
Chris
yes.. according to their web site it is the same as the 04 GT...nothing more to do other than drop it in and hook her up....the only hard part was puling the old one out but no big deal....you have to remove the tool tray and the seat bar in front of the tank...if you have big hands it might be easier to tie a heavy string to the battery post to pull the old one out..kinda tight in there for big hands...one other thing is that the battery comes with 2 plastic caps...my bike only had 1 to cover the pos post so I just took out the neg post side like the oem...just pry it off if you dont want it. the bolts that run through the post are 10mm (hex head) nut and cap screw (hex head)...dont drop them :teeth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts