BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finnaly got all the parts in yesterday to make my "hybrid" mount for the NUV! on my S. (see attached pics) Essentially.. I took the locking mechanism off the factory Garmin windshield mount and grafted it to one of the ZTechnik Tech mounts... Works like a charm.. Right in my field of vision... locks into place in 2 seconds.. unlocks with a push of a button... Doesn't block any instrumentation.. makes for longer lasting erections.

Full report to come in my next newsletter.. Will post it here soon. Thx all for the advice. Very happy with this little bastage.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
That looks great. Isn't that unit not waterproof though? What are your thoughts for motorcycle use on that unit vs. the 2820 or 378?? I'm considering upgrading from a 2720. I want the XM radio and weather/traffic. Thanks for your help.

Matt

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, Matt.. It is NOT waterproof as that was waaay down on my list of prerequisites..I perhaps ride in the rain 2 days a year... My V1 isn't waterproof either yet I've been using it for years. I carry around a ziplock bag and just slip it over and zip it up should it begin to rain... or I just remove it and stow it if it's torrential...

As for the other units.. my main criteria was simple.. big screen.. sleek, sexy, small unit. There are lots of GPS units out there but most are the size of a freakin' brick which I wanted to avoid. If the size issue doesn't bother you, then the new big ones are much better suited for full time touring, water-proof, XM, weather, etc

If interested I have a full review of the Nuvi in my current newsletter at http://piratesk12site.net/newsletter.htm

mattmor said:
That looks great. Isn't that unit not waterproof though? What are your thoughts for motorcycle use on that unit vs. the 2820 or 378?? I'm considering upgrading from a 2720. I want the XM radio and weather/traffic. Thanks for your help.

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pirate - What about an K1200RS mount for the NUVI

Jerry,

looking at the pictures it doesn't look like Ztechnik makes a good mount for an RS set up. Am I missing somethng?

thanks

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Jerry, I got the mount today, and I got the Nuvi at the same time. How did you fasten the GPS to the mount? I can only assume that you used industrial strength velcro. Cute little unit....

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Jerry, I went to mount the ztechnik mount z6131 that I received from you today, and it does NOT fit my 2006GT. I tried all sorts of configurations on the brake and clutch reservoirs and the bolts do not line up.No way. Am I missing something or is this the wrong part for my bike??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.. before I go through an explanation about how I attched my Nuvi to the mount..(I did NOT use velcro) ... lets figure out the OTHER issue first... I do NOT have access to a GT but Amber has spoken to ZTechnik TWICE and they tell us that the Z mount DOES fit the new GT... They even told us the NEW packaging will specify the 06 GT.. Do you have a pic of your handlebar area where the mount would go so I can see what it looks like??

However... I won't assume you are a moron and they are right. I am waiting for one of the Z people to call me personnally so I can pick his brain.. FYI.. you are the second GT guy I know of that says the Z mount won't fit that bike..

larrykay said:
Jerry, I went to mount the ztechnik mount z6131 that I received from you today, and it does NOT fit my 2006GT. I tried all sorts of configurations on the brake and clutch reservoirs and the bolts do not line up.No way. Am I missing something or is this the wrong part for my bike??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mount I used is a hybrid... so No.. I won't have a "S" specific kit like mine, but I'd be glad to tell anyone interested how I did it...

Spring said:
Jerry,

This is exactly what I am looking for. If you are thinking of selling a mounting kit, I want one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Jerry.

I received my Z Tech mount from you and mounted my Garmin Nuvi the same way you did. It works great!
By the way, great service. I ordered it Tuesday and got it Thursday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jerry:
Is the Nuvi powered by the bike? I see no wires.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Either /Or... I have a wire running directly to the factory GPS junction under the battery cover for when I want bike power (it just plugs right in and is very hidden) or.. the Nuvi runs off batteries for short runs..

DaMu said:
Jerry:
Is the Nuvi powered by the bike? I see no wires.
Thanks,
David

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Jerry, as a winter project I am adding bike power to the NUvi as I run out of juice on some of my forays, listening to the MP3. Did you cut the Garmin power cable and splice in the resistor, or did you just bunch up the cord and just cut off the cigarette lighter plug before attaching it to the GPS connector ?
Thanks,
Larry

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Hey Jerry, do you think that mount would work with the new Zumo's?

Also, do you know if there is enough clearance with that mount to support the Nuvi widescreen?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Garmin cable had an in-line resistor... I ordered it specifically from Garmin for this purpose as I recall... No splicing.. it's been a while and my memory is for shit..

larrykay said:
Jerry, as a winter project I am adding bike power to the NUvi as I run out of juice on some of my forays, listening to the MP3. Did you cut the Garmin power cable and splice in the resistor, or did you just bunch up the cord and just cut off the cigarette lighter plug before attaching it to the GPS connector ?
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ElJeffe.. I know for sure that the mount would support the Zumo.. No idea about clearance issues...

eljeffe said:
Hey Jerry, do you think that mount would work with the new Zumo's?

Also, do you know if there is enough clearance with that mount to support the Nuvi widescreen?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts