BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last rode the bike about 10 days ago. Filled tank and reset trip odometer to 0 on the way home. When I parked in garage trip ODO indicated 8.3 miles.
This AM - left for work and noticed the trip ODO and milage ODO were not working. Speedo was indicating OK. Knowing nothing else to try while moving I reset trip ODO to 0. No effect on either ODO. Stopped for breakfast near the office (about 15 miles) -- When I left the hash house. I noticed the trip ODO was counting -- got to the parking garage and the trip ODO indicated 0.6 miles and the ODO had rolled up 1 mile. Both about correct.
This afternoon on way home both worked correctly.
Did I go through a time warp? Or is there a rational explanation?

·
Registered
83 Posts
weird one - temperamental speedo is a very regular K problem - but you seem to have a variation, mph works, odo doesn't.

You could pull it all apart and look at the tiny plastic cogs and springs, or get yourself on a limited-mileage insurance policy and love the savings!

plenty of people fit a push-bike speedo or trust sat nav.

BTW and FWIW...those in the know about BMW cars of this period warn against resetting the trip meter in motion. BMW are/were famous for using common parts across various models, so it could be a factor. Or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When my odometer failed I opened it up and found one of the small plastic gears had broken a tooth. My failed outright, not intermittently so this might not be your problem. Also my odometer problem was not related to the trip meter.

After seeing the price for speedometers I was preparing to live without an odometer when I found this guy who happen to sell odometer gears. The internet is amazing. Anyway, it was easy to replace and the seller was very helpful. I felt lucky to find him so I wanted to recommend him.

http://www.odometergears.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts