BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an additional accessory port wired directly to the battery from a relay box operated by the ignition switch. Now, I want to hook up my Canbus sensing Optimate charger to the OEM Canbus outlet. Can someone refresh my memory as to which outlet it is. is it the forward or rearward outlet? No sense hooking it to the switched outlet. while in the garage.
I have not done this in years as I always used my bike in the winter for very short trips in the area on nice days in the winter. This year, I do not have this luxury as often.
Larry

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed an additional accessory port wired directly to the battery from a relay box operated by the ignition switch. Now, I want to hook up my Canbus sensing Optimate charger to the OEM Canbus outlet. Can someone refresh my memory as to which outlet it is. is it the forward or rearward outlet? No sense hooking it to the switched outlet. while in the garage.
I have not done this in years as I always used my bike in the winter for very short trips in the area on nice days in the winter. This year, I do not have this luxury as often.
Larry
It is the smaller front (left) one. I suggest, after you plug in the charger that you turn on the ignition for a few seconds so the canbus recognizes it and opens the "gate". If not, in my experience, the charger will show a good connection, the battery is quickly fully charged and then switched to a storage charge, which was false.

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought. This way, I can leave the charger on, and in theory, it will check occasionally to see if it needs topping up. I was using a pigtail to the battery with the charger in full on and doing its own keeping track. This way, I can go back to the original canbus method.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts