BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 03 RS from a private seller and I was not able to get any booklets that came with the bike.

I have downloaded the "Repair Manual" PDF and I print-out chapters as I need them and thereby creating a hardcopy manual.

Is there any important information in either the "Rider's Manual" or the "Service Manual" that is worth $26 (each)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There is some stuff.....quite a bit actually but I don't look at mine very often.If you want to wait I'll scan mine for you in a couple weeks, was going to do it anyway so I could have it in the computer.....copyrights be.......D....! :)

I had to buy the alarm book for that much money, just for a couple pages of info I needed....I asked online first, I guess nobody had it or wanted to risk "Copyright Infringments"..... :teeth

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re:

What is it with these guys that put that stuff in a safe place then forget where they hid it. :dunno: That's what the secret box under the seat is far. If you blow a fuse 90 miles from home, what good does the owner's book do that tells where to look for the fuse block?
I didn't get the book or the ABS feeler gage. It's on order, so untill then ,I'll just look all around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sunchaser said:
I got my 03 RS from a private seller and I was not able to get any booklets that came with the bike. Thanks
Have you checked the little compartment on the bottom of the seat to see if your books are actually in there?

Many people don't realise that the compartment exists. Worth a try.
Cheers Darryl :)

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Brokerecord said:
What is it with these guys that put that stuff in a safe place then forget where they hid it. :dunno: That's what the secret box under the seat is far. If you blow a fuse 90 miles from home, what good does the owner's book do that tells where to look for the fuse block?
I didn't get the book or the ABS feeler gage. It's on order, so untill then ,I'll just look all around.
In my experience, if you blow an important fuse 90 miles from home, there's a fault that doesn't go away by replacing the fuse - the new fuse just blows again. The ABS feeler is the same thing. If the gaps have changed so much the ABS lights come on then there are problems with bearings that won't get fixed by looking in the book. The most useful tool in my toolroll is the black rubber condom thingy that helps me put oil in the bike.

However, the booklet is handy for telling you what the fuses do and it's where I go to check things like tire sizes and bulb specs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Darryl said:
Many people don't realise that the compartment exists.
Wow! I've had the seat off numerous times and never noticed the compartment. I guess because I always had a different issue at the time.

Unfortunately when I got the cheesebox open it was empty.

Maybe I'll just pony-up the $52. With everything about the bike so complicated and expensive the manuals will most likely pay for themselves over time. At least now I know where to keep them if I do get them.

(Thanks for the offer, "H")

·
Registered
121 Posts
Owners manual

Well, I got my $26.40 plus $3.00 shipping, O.M. today. Talk about cheesey, my Honda and Kawa manuals are 3Xs as thick. Much more thourgh in telling about how things work, plus they have all maintance charts and blank sheets to keep up with maintance work.
I guess BMW wants you to take it to the dealer so the work can be put in the computer. No need to go thru the hassel of having to write it down. Bring it to us and all you do is write the check.
Oh, nothing about much of anything except handlebar switches, and gauges.

I've replaced blown fuses in boats, trains, tractors, trucks, cars, and houses for over 50 years.
It normally means ~ that a fuse has blown. Just like light bulbs and tires sometimes they just pop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Brokerecord said:
Well, I got my $26.40 plus $3.00 shipping, O.M. today. Talk about cheesey, my Honda and Kawa manuals are 3Xs as thick. Much more thourgh in telling about how things work, plus they have all maintance charts and blank sheets to keep up with maintance work.
BMW puts all that sort of information in the second book of the pair (Riders Manual, and Service Manual) that come with the bike.
That's the case for my '98 RS, anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea, I got the Clymer for only $33.00. Now that was a deal. I still can't figure why someone sells a bike with out all the books and whatever tools come with it. I can make up a tool caddy for anything alive. As I've worked on every thing that rolls, or floats. Just wondered what they did with the stuff that should sale with the bike.
And I know how to ride, this is my 17th bike and I've averaged 15,000 miles every year since I retired. Only about 6,000 before that. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, my OEM manuals arrived, and I poured through them both.

I bought my bike from the owner’s brother while he was serving in Iraq and the only explanation of anything I received with it is that he showed me where the Battery Tender plugged in. No matter. Gave $6K for it (15K mi) and rode it home on a rainy day and a bald front tire. After all, I have owned bikes all my life.

So I learned a few things, like ”RES” doesn’t mean reserve, but resume, and that it has a Cruise Control. I would probably get more use out of a Reserve than a Cruise Control. Pity there isn’t one. I get about 38mpg (general commuting), so I guess I should be able to go 190 miles comfortably.

But it is nice to have the reference material and not live on assumptions, and I do not regret the purchase. The books will also enhance the package if I ever sell it. Selling it will most likely pass on to my children.

Regards and safe riding.

p.s. Bother, the battery in my ZRX just crashed. I mostly ride that on weekdays because I want to spare the RS from setting in the hot Florida sun all day.

p.p.s I had the opportunity to test the Cruise Control this morning, and I must admit, it is a very nice feature. Works vey well.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
RBEmerson said:
Um... the link's broken. "http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/ind...html&notrack=1l" isn't going to work, ever.

Try http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/index.html and follow the "To Book" link on the right side of the home page. However, the manuals offered only go back to 2008 - good for Next Gen folks, but not so good for Classic folks.
They are here, going back quite a few years.....great supplier to deal with to. :thumb:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts