BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, it's become a big enough issue that Apple felt they needed to put out an official statement. I imagine they're seeing a sharp rise in camera warranty claims.

Apple Support Document: Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and handlebars. It is not recommended to attach your iPhone to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines due to the amplitude of the vibration in certain frequency ranges that they generate. Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.
So it sounds like they don't recommend hard attachments to any motorcycle, but they do recommend using a vibration dampening mount on "low power" vehicles.

I haven't had any issues with my iPhone XR in a solidly-mounted RAM Quick-Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder on my K13GT or K12LT, but if I was doing it again or when I upgrade to a newer iPhone I'll probably move to a Quad Lock mount with a vibration dampener and waterproof wireless charging head.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
43 Posts
Apple is just a little slow to alert users to thei problem that has been well known for a few years now. Camera stabilization system breaks and renders the camera useless. Happened to me on a XR and several others I know with XR and 11. No problems with 12 using an anti vibe mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts