BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes despite changing and bleeding the brake fluid in my 2006 K1200S at the required intervals, the system is malfunctioning at 65,000 km. Is there a recognized correct diagnostic procedure to figure out on how the issue can be isolated? At a guess it sounds like a pump failure. Also I've read somewhere that a replacement device for the ABS pump is available from a manufacturer in Europe. Can the brainstrust provide me with the intel on these matters? Much appreciated.
It's a fantastic machine that I enjoy riding immensely, but I'm very frustrated by the design flaws that keep occurring.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes despite changing and bleeding the brake fluid in my 2006 K1200S at the required intervals, the system is malfunctioning at 65,000 km. Is there a recognized correct diagnostic procedure to figure out on how the issue can be isolated? At a guess it sounds like a pump failure. Also I've read somewhere that a replacement device for the ABS pump is available from a manufacturer in Europe. Can the brainstrust provide me with the intel on these matters? Much appreciated.
It's a fantastic machine that I enjoy riding immensely, but I'm very frustrated by the design flaws that keep occurring.
You’re going to want to read the codes from a computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The company is RH out of Germany. Very expensive, they have two cures. First is the second chance unit which deletes the ABS system, cost is in marks. The second is a rebuilt ABS, when I looked at the units and converted the cost to US dollars it was around $1200 for the second chance and $2000 for the rebuilt ABS. Cost prohibitive for a bike worth 3-4 thousand. I disconnected and removed the unit , replaced the brake pipes with BMW non ABS pipes, split the ABS unit and resealed. All lights, brake lights and turn signals, speedometer work with no problem- cost of total approx. $200. Brakeing is soooo much smoother- no sudden stops, no useless exercising the ABS unit, no taking the bike apart to bleed the brakes. If this site allows you can PM me for details.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,333 Posts
I totally agree with RR, but if you want to inquire with RH in Germany here is a link, as mentioned they sell a bypass unit with electronics to keep speedo and lights going or rebuild for more money and you still have that shite iABS unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I totally agree with RR, but if you want to inquire with RH in Germany here is a link, as mentioned they sell a bypass unit with electronics to keep speedo and lights going or rebuild for more money and you still have that shite iABS unit.
I rechecked the price of the non ABS brake pipes and seals from BMW - total cost was $98.72. Available from A&S cycles part #'s 3432850569 (Front), 34328530571 (Rear), 07119963072 (Seal Rings), can be ordered over the internet.

·
Registered
07 k1200gt, 06 k1200s
5 Posts
Hi Wayne, Mike and I first took the flex line from rear caliper and installed right on top of master brake with brass washers.
Picked up 8in double flared brake line. Where brake line from front master runs down to a connector beside shock, bend, install to otherside that goes to caliper. Just bypass the lines running to pump.
Remove pump, drill out bolts holding electronics. Unplug 4 connectors and tape off Make waterproof cover, in place of the pump. We just used some flat aluminum and bent up where the two half wholes are. Bolt and silicone. Zip tie, plug in.
Bleed brakes.
Dense foam behind triangle light.
The canbus won't like fluid level and abs not setting. The rear brake light and speedo will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts