BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Ohlins rear shock on my 2003 KRS. The instructions clearly show the remote reservoir (with the compression damping adjuster on it) being mounted in the place the charcoal canister normally resides, on the inner rear fender. Any input on this? The reservoir and it's hose don't seem to be able to be mounted anywhere else, like on the frame rail or whatever.
Does the canister really do much? Will I create faults by running the bike this way? Should I connect the loose hoses together - with another section of hose, or something? Is the one hose (off the bottom ofthe canister, on the left side of the bike) just a drain or overflow?
Or should I really be looking at a different mounting location altogether?
Any comments will be appreciated. Sorry if this has already been hashed over, I could find some reference to this dilemma, but nothing definitive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have seen the adjuster knobs in easily accesible locations 'near' there, but poking out where you can reach it while seated. These bikes did not remove the canister, but then, this is California. For my Wilbers, the instructions called for the reservoir to be mounted to on the grabrail on rider's left...right over the muffler where it singed my hand and made it impossible to lift the bike...so I mounted both the reservoir and adjuster knob on the seat frame rail on rider's right and coiled the hose and control cable.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
88x said:
I just installed a new Ohlins rear shock on my 2003 KRS. The instructions clearly show the remote reservoir (with the compression damping adjuster on it) being mounted in the place the charcoal canister normally resides, on the inner rear fender. Any input on this? The reservoir and it's hose don't seem to be able to be mounted anywhere else, like on the frame rail or whatever.
Does the canister really do much? Will I create faults by running the bike this way? Should I connect the loose hoses together - with another section of hose, or something? Is the one hose (off the bottom ofthe canister, on the left side of the bike) just a drain or overflow?
Or should I really be looking at a different mounting location altogether?
Any comments will be appreciated. Sorry if this has already been hashed over, I could find some reference to this dilemma, but nothing definitive.
Our Canadian bikes do not have the carbon canister. :D "If so equipped" is how the canister is described in the parts fiche or Clymer.Both hoses coming out of the fuel pump flange go to drain.

On your bike one will go to the canister. From the canister, one goes to drain, the other to the fuel rail ,first going through an electric "actuator".

No problem removing the canister, but you will have to disconnect and remove the actuator at the fuel rail and plug the fitting at the fuel rail where the hose goes in. Send the hose that originally went from the tank to the canister to drain under the bike. :thumb:

Save the canister/actuator in case you ever sell your bike to a Californian.....! :teeth

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Mine (and every other one I've seen) is installed just like Mr. Hall's. I don't think there's any need to screw around with the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK - Thanks guys. I will try the "attaching it to the foot peg bracket location" next.
I was just attempting to install it as per the instructions - I should have known!
Plus, I only received one of those rubber mounting insulators for the reservoir and one big zip-tie type of strap, which would accommodate the inner fender location.
I've attached an image of my shock (at least I tried to) where you can see the angle of the banjo-fitting for the reservoir hose. I can't see the angle of the fitting on the reservoir in your photo Mr. Hall, is it similar or is that what's keeping me from putting it down there?
Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Since you are installing, I have a question for you. Do you still need the 5 MM BMW spacer at the top right of the rear shock? I think a packrat took it off my work bench...nice shiny part like that... :teeth I had to improvise to reinstall my OEM shock, but if it is required with the Ohlin I will order one.
Also what's your number on the front shock if you are doing it, I have seen BM 346 and BM 701 both quoted for the RS, the sellers haven't answered my inquiries yet....?
Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey H96, no spacer required for the (702) rear. There was not one on my OEM shock either although I had the upgrade (white spring) shock fitted as standard. My front shock is 701.
Personally I would dispense with the charcoal filter and install the compression reservoir under the seat. It just seems to belong there, and I always wondered what that concave dip in the inner guard was for :D IMHO attaching the reservoir to the rear foot peg bracket has a real "after market" look to it, and while other options may be slim, in true Kiwi fashion, I wold search for other options.... :teeth Also, have a look at the banjo fitting at the top of the rear shock that connects to the braided line to the remote compression reservoir. On mine it faced "away" from the bike and rubbed on the tupperware. Not by much, but enough to cause concern. I had the Ohlins dealer (glad I paid the extra and bought mine locally :clap: :clap: :clap:) swap the banjo fitting to the inside and rotated the other end on the reservoir and re routed the braided line to suit free of charge. This involved a partial dismantle of the shock and rebuild with fresh fluid and gas. Not a job to be undertaken in the garage as very well equipped. :yeow:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my latest update - But first, thanks to all for the info - this forum is tremendous.
I attempted to install the reservoir on the foot peg bracket as shown in the above photos.
The fittings and the hose just won't allow it with my shock. But, from the last few posts, I think I understand what's going on. My shock is the BM702 which is the specified unit for my 2003 KRS. Why this is not the same as the BM318 used on the GT, I'm not sure. But, this explains the variations in the hose and fitting angles.

http://www.ohlins.com/Products/MountingInstructions/MI_BM702.pdf

The link above shows the instructions I was supplied.

It appears my options, after contorting the reservoir hose all over the place last night, are to either go with the canister location, which actually is pretty easy, and hides the unit nicely. Or trying to mount to the sub-frame under the coolant overflow tank - the hose will allow that with some minor dremel mods to the bottom lip of the side cover. Of course, mine didn't come with the nice stainless hose clamps and two of the rubber insulators, but I can certainly come up with that stuff. I might even fab some kind of bracket to keep the reservoir from pressing against the brake fluid reservoir. Man - there's a lot of stuff packed into this little area! This location will allow for extremely easy damping adjustment if desired too.

Oh yes - H96, to reinforce Flyingkiwi's note - the spacer was not needed as with the stock shock. The width of the Ohlins (at least the BM702) upper mounting lobe fills the gap nicely. While on the subject of the upper mount - I did have to dremel away just a little material from the bottom surface of the frame bracket to get the slightly larger diameter Ohlins mount to fit in there as well. (I saw this technique somewhere in this forum) I didn't remove much really - just basically remove that raised cross-hatch pattern on the surface to allow the holes to line up correctly.
And also - I did get what I thought was a good price on this unit from Hard Racing.com but I can now see why a shop would charge more - to once again echo Flyingkiwi. I do normally try to patronize the local shop - after all I do want them to stay around.
But, I thought this would help me become more familiar with the bike in general,,,,,, and it certainly is doing that.
Hey Woodman - any chance you have a picture of your reservoir mounting?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
:ricky :ricky
flyingkiwi said:
Hey H96, no spacer required for the (702) rear. There was not one on my OEM shock either although I had the upgrade (white spring) shock fitted as standard. My front shock is 701.
Personally I would dispense with the charcoal filter and install the compression reservoir under the seat. It just seems to belong there, and I always wondered what that concave dip in the inner guard was for :D IMHO attaching the reservoir to the rear foot peg bracket has a real "after market" look to it, and while other options may be slim, in true Kiwi fashion, I wold search for other options.... :teeth Also, have a look at the banjo fitting at the top of the rear shock that connects to the braided line to the remote compression reservoir. On mine it faced "away" from the bike and rubbed on the tupperware. Not by much, but enough to cause concern. I had the Ohlins dealer (glad I paid the extra and bought mine locally :clap: :clap: :clap:) swap the banjo fitting to the inside and rotated the other end on the reservoir and re routed the braided line to suit free of charge. This involved a partial dismantle of the shock and rebuild with fresh fluid and gas. Not a job to be undertaken in the garage as very well equipped. :yeow:
Thanks Mr.Kiwi, maybe the Packrat did not take that spacer after all! :teeth But if there was not one in there in the first place may explain the strange wear marks at the shock mounts. But there is definitely one listed in the parts fiche. Interesting will have to investigate that a little further. But that is what I get for having my bike all apart over the winter sorting out way too many F...ups from the previous incompetent mechanic. :spank1:

I just tried the "Buy local" thing....Holy S....t! $500.00 more than through the group buy on ADVrider, but those guys there seem to know what they are doing, I will be passing on the Banjo thing to them, see what they can do. I think I can figure out the rest.....! :thumb:

You are probably right as to the white spring being an upgrade, I have the yellow one, optional Sport shock, darn that thing is harsh at lower speeds. From what I and others can see a bit better at higher speeds than the white one, as long as there is not too many potholes! Then the dampening adjustment gives up.....or doesn't keep up! :(

I'll get back to you soon, really busy lately but....first ride yesterday, no matter the lousy OEM shock and the post winter potholes, lots of..... :ricky :ricky :ricky :bmw:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes but it blocks the power outlet

Has anyone noticed that you cannot plug into the power socket with the adjuster in the position shown?

Mind you,I have never yet used the socket,but suppose I had to?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yep, I noticed that also, but 8 years down the track and I've never used mine either, so figure its not a problem.... :teeth But if it is, I will figure something out :clap:

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
jgr451 said:
Has anyone noticed that you cannot plug into the power socket with the adjuster in the position shown?

Mind you,I have never yet used the socket,but suppose I had to?
I've used both of mine (added the auxiliary years ago). Just bend the bracket out a bit, not a big deal.

·
Registered
418 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
Yep, I noticed that also, but 8 years down the track and I've never used mine either, so figure its not a problem.... :teeth But if it is, I will figure something out :clap:

Haha !I'm with you mate,no effing cell phone for this boyo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I've put some miles on the Ohlins - I did finally mount the reservoir in the charcoal canister location on the inner fender - no problem with the canister hoses, I connected the fuel tank vent hose to the lower vent hose with a piece of poly tubing about 5 inches long and I plugged the hose that runs back up to the fuel rail. The canister is on the shelf if needed.
The specified settings for preload and damping have provided the perfect sag measurements. The ride is awesome on the new Ohlins - at 36k it's like a new bike! The real test is when my wife and I loaded up with all our baggage - I cranked up the preload a bunch of turns on the remote adjuster (it looked like close to a quarter inch of preload on the collar) and increased the rebound damping 3 clicks. The ride was excellent - like the extra weight wasn't even there!
It holds a nice steady line in a long corner better than ever. My wife even noticed the improvement. Glad I finally did it. Thanks to all of you for guidance.
Now I have to think about doing the front.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you think the ride is great with the rear done, wait until you do the front :clap: Like all your christmas's have come at once :D :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts