BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in preperation for an over night ride next week down to Cambria with Dave Taylor and others, I decide I'll change the oil. I'm one of those that changes it at 3k.

So everything goes fine, get it completely drained, resevoir, oilpan, and filter.. SO the filter I got, er the dealer gave me, was the wrong filter, to big. Those mother %#@#$#...... Dealership does not open Tuesday. Cannot leave the bike where its at. The old filter is not damaged at all. I have the filter tool from beemer balancers. So I decide to just pop it back on and complete the change. SO no leaks around filter.

SO I'll keep a close watch for leaks on the filter. I'm thinking I'm OK (Filter only had 3k on it).

SO I could get a new filter and swap that out during the week. I dunno?

The oil that was in the bike was standard beemer oil fromp the dealer. I put in the castrol GPS (real synthetic) which is what the manual calls for. SHould not be an issue?

Any opinions? Should I just let it go for another 3k?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
If it's not leaking then I'd let it go and just change it all again next time.

But remind me not to follow too close next weekend, in case you start dripping synthetic down the road. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
change

Previous post said it. No worries. Do some homework and find where you can buy your filters on the cheap. I get a slab of filters, German ones, works out at $5 each. Been using them since my first new K100RS

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same experience, the parts guy sold me the large filter and it had to go back.

I was told by the head service guy at my dealer that BMW dosnt recomend synth oil until after the 6000 mile mark!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crfjohn said:
I had the same experience, the parts guy sold me the large filter and it had to go back.

I was told by the head service guy at my dealer that BMW dosnt recomend synth oil until after the 6000 mile mark!
Yeah I'm beyond that. It was a 3k interval change, I am at 9k.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are changing oil and filter every 3k then you might want to try a Scotts Performance Stainless filter. Scotts Performance I have a friend with an RT (uses the same filter as the GT) that has on and really likes it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Papilio said:
Previous post said it. No worries. Do some homework and find where you can buy your filters on the cheap. I get a slab of filters, German ones, works out at $5 each. Been using them since my first new K100RS
Where?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts