BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in finding out how often you change your oil. When I bought my bike '04 K1200GT from Irv Seaver BMW it had the 600 mile service completed and documented. Now I am at 3000 miles wondering if any of you have changed your oil at this point or waited until the 6000 mile mark. Cars usually get their oil changed every 3000 miles. Is this the same rule on a bike?:tim

·
Registered
372 Posts
I change mine every 3000 miles and firmly believe that it helps prolong the life of the engine. Many people choose the 6k option I'm sure, but due to the higher revs and demand the engine has on the oil I'll stick to my usual routine as it has served me well during my 28 years of riding.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I change my oil and filter every 12,000 miles on my 2000 K1200LT for 137,000 miles until I sold it. Ran great! I do the same with my 2006 K1200LT with 30,000 miles. I use the only synthetic oil and filter warranted for parts and labor for that mileage, should the oil or filter ever fail. In my 2006, I started with that oil at 600 miles and use less than a quart of oil between changes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
TimVipond said:
I change my oil and filter every 12,000 miles on my 2000 K1200LT for 137,000 miles until I sold it. Ran great! I do the same with my 2006 K1200LT with 30,000 miles. I use the only synthetic oil and filter warranted for parts and labor for that mileage, should the oil or filter ever fail. In my 2006, I started with that oil at 600 miles and use less than a quart of oil between changes.
What specific brand and model filter serial numbe are you using?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would go with the 6000 mark.....break in is very important....but by the sounds of things that oil has been in there a long long time......check with your dealer about what oil would be best for break in.....you still have 3000 more miles to go....What year did you have it changed att 600 miles?.....You got to ride more man.... :tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
I try to change the oil and filter every 3,000, if I'm on a trip I'll extend the interval a little for the trip. I think with quality oil you could extend the mileage, but for me 3,000 is pretty cheap insurance for what could be a very expensive engine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think we live in the year 2008 not 1956.
The engines and the engine oils they make today have all the right additives in it to go 6,000+ miles with dino oil.
Synthetic oil lubricates better and can be used for more miles because it does not break down like dino oil.

Changing oil at 3,000 miles is a waste of money, time and oil. Hell BMW says to change the oil every 6,000 miles, my hi-performance car manual reads 5,000 mile oil changes and the warranty is for 75,000 miles.

I use synthetic and change Eng., Trans. and Rear drive oil at about 6,000 miles and the engine oil filter at 12,000.

Don’t change the oil too soon, save your money and buy something that will improve the bike, like after market shocks.

Go fast have fun, go faster have more fun!

Bazra
Aka: The Flash

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Why not just send of 3-4 ounces of oil to Blackstone Labs and let them figure out how many miles to change your particular oil?

Link: Blackstone Oil Labs

Maybe do the same for those funky rear drives that tend to implode too.

Mack

·
Banned
15 Posts
bayoubmw said:
I think the RS and LT use the same filter but I will check, thanks.
If it is a 1997-2004 K1200RS, it is the same filter. I can ship you some if you like. PM me for details.

·
Registered
437 Posts
oil change

i dont claim to be an oil afficianado....but just for perspective. we own 2006 bmw 330i car. the warranty is four yrs, 50k miles. that includes oil changes. the dealer wants to see the car every 15k miles for oil change with synthetic. motorcycles nowadays use small automobile engines. changing synthetic oil sooner then 7-10k seems a waste and filled with fear. if the major auto manufacturers will warranty theri expensive engines with 15k oil changes, it must work. just a little perspective.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I work on the basis that whilst it may be 2008, my K-brick was probably designed much earlier (1995?)

Motor cycle engines run with large temperature variations and have small sumps. Our bikes have a reputation for seal failure and most owners may expect to change their seals more often than they will be worrying about an extra 1/2 thou of engine wear or a 'hardly ever happens' incident of a motor seizure.

Your cost of ownership will be more related to service shop repairs to fix leaking seals, than re-boring blocks and regrinding crank journals.

So my philosophy has always been run cheapest dyno oil and change it every 4K, with filter and oil changed at 8K to keep metal fragments away from seals. Oil is cheap, fairly easy to change and oil life/brand should not be an issue for such low miles. I do the same with rear drive and tranny. Small amounts of oil required and you get to see quicker if you are heading for early bearing failure.

Many cars now are designed for oil changes at 12K+. But it's not just oil giving longevity but sump capacity and better filtration. Turbo diesels used to require oil changes at 3-4K, but this was due to the high temperature operation of lubricant around V. hot turbo bearings and the contamination of oil by diesel fuel combustion. When BMW design a motor to run on synthetic oil with a 12K+ oil change interval and it's reliable, I might change my view. But then they tried something similar with 'sealed for life' rear drives didn't they?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts