BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use a pump to drain the oil, which hole in the tank do you pump from? Any access tricks?

·
Registered
605 Posts
A little more searching on the forum and you would read all about detailed oil changes....

On the right side is the sight tube for the oil tank. This can be disconnected at the top and rotated down to drain into a container. Use a foam ear plug or the like to pug it while you do this to prevent spillage. This way will take quite a long time but it is doable.

Other methods would include using a oil pump to extract the oil through the top cap.

Your choice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DavidS said:
If you use a pump to drain the oil, which hole in the tank do you pump from? Any access tricks?
Hi David,
Someone on this site got me hooked on THIS and I love it. Forget about that messy straw technique -- even with the ear foam fix,
The evacuator comes with three "straws" and he largest diameter one fits in the straw hole like a glove. Pinch the straw retainer and pull it out of the way. Snake the evacuator tube down that hole on the tank(see pic). Much faster and gets more of the oil out because you can get down below the flexy straw drain pivot point.
I now use this thing for my cars as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I went and got a hand pump siphon at Checker and the hose will fit right in either hole. I'll give it a shot when I get the filters. The straw technique does indeed look too messy, not to mention the flimsy straw doesn't look like it will hold up to too many oil changes before it bites the dust.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Uzirider said:
Hi David,
Someone on this site got me hooked on THIS and I love it. Forget about that messy straw technique -- even with the ear foam fix,
The evacuator comes with three "straws" and he largest diameter one fits in the straw hole like a glove. Pinch the straw retainer and pull it out of the way. Snake the evacuator tube down that hole on the tank(see pic). Much faster and gets more of the oil out because you can get down below the flexy straw drain pivot point.
I now use this thing for my cars as well!
That thing looks like it would probably work on the final drive as well. The tube on the one that I have is to big to get in the "straw" hole, and that is about the size that you would need to get past the gears in the final.

·
Registered
60 Posts
JamesM said:
That thing looks like it would probably work on the final drive as well. The tube on the one that I have is to big to get in the "straw" hole, and that is about the size that you would need to get past the gears in the final.
Hmmmmm -- Haven't used it on the final drive. Looking at the supplied tubes, the small one may just slip in there under the gears. The main tube is the one that I use for the oil.
Fluid evacuator
0.23" OD x 5' long (5.7 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.26" OD x 5' long (6.6 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.41" OD x 5' long (10 mm OD x 1.5 m long) main evacuation tube

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
will the tube fit into the speedo sensor hole when removed? i think it is a straight shot and you don't have to fight around the gears. i have never used that hole, i fill through the drain hole with a syringe. if you can drain through the speedo sensor hole it may be worth removing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts