BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I tried to search on oil change but the search function kept rejecting the word oil! Anyway, what I was hoping to find is a thread on the type of oil to use for oil changes plus instruction on changing the oil.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree that the searching for a 3 letter word like "oil" is a pain in the ass. I brought it up once but it never got changed.

And.....Grif / Mods.....even though I know the Hall of Wisdom exists, it is kind of hard to find. Maybe there could be a more prominent link on the main forums page?

OK...back to oil change:

Go here for instructions.

and

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yeah, I understand how to get there by clicking on Technical because I know it exists, however when some one new comes along searching for some basic info like "oil change" ....it might be nice if there were a

Hall of Wisdom / Maintenance / FAQ

main link or something there abouts right on the main index page.

Just trying to make life a bit simpler is all. I think folks would find it easier there.

My 1/2 cent. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and GC916 great right up.

BTW is the Mobil 1 oil motorcycle specific or can I get it from any autoparts store? Should I use an auto specific?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
sep999 said:
Thanks for the info and GC916 great right up.

BTW is the Mobil 1 oil motorcycle specific or can I get it from any autoparts store? Should I use an auto specific?
You can't use just any oil. You have to make sure you read your manual and that the oil you use meets certain requirements. I know the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 meets those requirements, and there are others also, but you can't just pick any oil off the shelf......well you could but you'd run the chance of damaging your bike. Has to do with wet clutches and polymers and additives and such.

I use the synthetic because of the mileage I get between changes. And the confidence it offers......peace of mind. Most of the time it's about the same as the mileage I get out of a set of tires so I do them both at the same time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
So if you do the oil change yourself do you just tell the dealer to skip it when you bring it in on the 6000 mile interval? Do they give you any grief over it?

Do you really need to do 3000 mile oil changes with synthetic? I figure you could do 6000 pretty easy.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
iflybricks said:
So if you do the oil change yourself do you just tell the dealer to skip it when you bring it in on the 6000 mile interval?
Yes.

iflybricks said:
Do they give you any grief over it?
No, but the burden of proof is on you (keep your receipts)

iflybricks said:
Do you really need to do 3000 mile oil changes with synthetic? I figure you could do 6000 pretty easy.
6k is no problemo. The 3k number is usually because your dad beat that one into you (Hand raised here and it's been tough trying to run 6k. I usually change at 5 because the math is easy).

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
grifscoots said:
Yes.

No, but the burden of proof is on you (keep your receipts)

6k is no problemo. The 3k number is usually because your dad beat that one into you (Hand raised here and it's been tough trying to run 6k. I usually change at 5 because the math is easy).
I change the oil at 3,000 miles because much of my daily commute is stop 'n' go. Hopefully it keeps the bike happier.

·
Registered
353 Posts
blaine said:
I use BMW 10W40 full SYNTHETIC myself ( starting at 5000 ).

:popcorn:
Is this a wet clutch motorcycle oil? Can you provide a link?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts