BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just over 1300 miles on my 1200RT so far, I'm tracking at about 1qt oil every 1k miles. Ouch. I've been told by other boxer owners that this is not atypical for a new boxer engine and that eventually oil consumption will level off.

I don't remember my '04 KRS burning oil - even during the break-in period. So I'm wondering... what seems to be the general oil consumption trend with the new K bikes?

·
Registered
395 Posts
so far my 05 KS isnt using any. on my 99 K12RS for the entire 67k miles till I sold her I would burn about 1qt every 3k miles. Was moslty high rpm blowby as far as I could tell, I was a second owner and 1st owner said she was broken in by the book, which I feel resulted in the blow by at high rpm. JMHO, I got her with 12k on her.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
karlb said:
so far my 05 KS isnt using any. on my 99 K12RS for the entire 67k miles till I sold her I would burn about 1qt every 3k miles. Was moslty high rpm blowby as far as I could tell, I was a second owner and 1st owner said she was broken in by the book, which I feel resulted in the blow by at high rpm. JMHO, I got her with 12k on her.
I broke my RT in "by the book". It wasn't until I started riding it a little harder that I noticed the oil consumption.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ride the bike harder. The oil consumption should stop or be minimal. IMHO, "by the book" is too conservative. Every BMW I've owned, both Boxers and K's, has seen an aggressive but careful break in. NONE OF THEM has ever used any measurable amount of oil.

The redline is there for a reason. My interpretation is that all rpm's BELOW it are meant to be used.

USE THE POWERBAND!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My experience with boxers is they use about .25 liters per thousand.
96 R1100R
03 1150 GS ADV.

The GT doesn't seem to use any, of course with only 2000 klicks, it is to early to make a reliable judgement.

Regards,
Oldtimer

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
Dude

Ya gotta run that Boxer hard man!

It's not broke in yet

I tell ya what let me have it for a weekend and when ya get it back it wont burn oil

How's that?

Run it man!!!!!!!!!

S don't burn no stinkin oil BTW

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well

On my current boxer oil consumption follows this pattern - everything above the center line burns off in the 1st 1-2K after an oil change. Everything from centerline and below stays put until next oil change - 3-6K miles interval. If I chase that level above centerline, I am only adding fresh oil to a 'burn-off' zone. IMO, YMMV, HTH, etc

K uses none between changes - so far.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My '04 R1150RS would take a quart every 600-750 miles or so even after I had 18K miles on the odometer. Dealer kept on telling me to be patient. Ran it very hard and it never seemed to break in. In my opinion, this was the main design flaw of the boxer engines. Hard to believe that in this day and age a major motorcycle company would allow this to be the norm on their best selling bike lines.

Nice not to not have to be constantly checking oil consumption on the K1200S - adds to the ownership experience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
furgetboutit said:
My '04 R1150RS would take a quart every 600-750 miles or so even after I had 18K miles on the odometer. Dealer kept on telling me to be patient. Ran it very hard and it never seemed to break in. In my opinion, this was the main design flaw of the boxer engines. Hard to believe that in this day and age a major motorcycle company would allow this to be the norm on their best selling bike lines.

Nice not to not have to be constantly checking oil consumption on the K1200S - adds to the ownership experience.

Same exact experience as furgetboutit. What a PITA to have to carry around oil for a long trip on contemporary equipment. I've got 26K on an 1150RT (04), broke it in correctly and ride in pretty aggressively. Burns about a quart in 12-1500 miles and it isn't getting any better (but, it WAS worse). Wait till it breaks in for consumption to stop...not in my case, unless it's not broken in at 26K. And contrary to what some have said, mine uses less oil if I ride it easier...but who wants to do that? In addition to the extra power from the new GT and similiar ergos to the RT, the crude aspects of the boxer is one of the reasons why I'm likely to go to the new GT. Extra torque is a plus since this bike is my 2-up and running errands machine. My old K/RS (02) and my new K/S do not use a drop of oil...and are a much more contemporary bike. I just enjoy the engine characteristics of the old and new K engines better.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Boxer

The Oilhead/Hexhead boxer is only somewhat contemporary. It is a 1923 design with 1980's and 90's metallurgy and more modern engine management and electronics. So buyers should go in knowing that BMW engineering does not strive to market a most modern engine - just a modernized older design. Oil consumption alone is neither a mark of a bad engine nor a sign of a good one. Just a characteristic of this engine.

Someone should have told you before you bought one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Best method I have found for either K or R motor to help stop oil consumption. Ride bike in normal fashion to warm motor fully. Find road where you won't be attracting the attention of LEOs. Run bike up to red line in 2nd gear then roll off throttle to let RPMs drop to third of redline. Repeat two or three times. Have done this with my S and wife's R1200ST and neither burns oil.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My K has used very little oil over the first 17K miles. My '02 boxer used a lot of oil until a trip I took from Austin to Torrey, UT. We ran the bikes in the triples for extended periods on the way out to UT. Once there, we were running the canyons banging off the rev limter for hours, in 4th and 5th gear. I was really beating the crap out of the 259....man that was a fun trip.

Anyway, that did it. Oil usage dropped to maybe an ounce or two between changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.