BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change the oil filter without dropping the oil on an 02 RS? Changed the oil last week, but the filter was late in the post, :( and was desperate for a ride - its summer down here :teeth I realise I will loose the oil behind the cover, but is that all?

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
Is it possible to change the oil filter without dropping the oil on an 02 RS? QUOTE]

Nope.

Once you crack open the housing for the oil filter it all drains out.
I personally wouldn't sweat it. Ride it that way til the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Don't worry too much about the filter, like you I tend to get a little antsy when my oil is passed my regular schedule, usually happens on the road somewhere.....! :wtf:

I have done quite a few roadside oil changes over the years without changing the filter, never had a problem with that. But I usually do the next oil change at around 2,500-3,000 Km to be on the safe side.

Just find someone with a junker and give them the oil for reuse.....! :teeth

I actually drilled a hole in my belly pan under the oil plug to make any "eventual" roadside oil changes easier, I will use an empty roll of TP as a funnel, it fits just right over the plug and will prevent the oil from going into the belly pan. :D

But your bike is so clean, you can just do it again, just use a clean Ice Cream bucket to drop the oil and reuse it......or if you have any doubts that there might be dirt in it, one of them Deep Fryer filter cones works great to filter the oil. :yeah:

There ya go, I tought I could stick Ice Cream and Cooking in there.....now go enjoy the :sun:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
thought that would be the case. I'll just wait for the next one, and keep a spare filter on the shelf so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
purolator oil filter

When you get to the filter purolator PL10241 is the finest filter money can buy,, I think they are at advanced auto if you have one neer, ,,joe

·
Addict
3,750 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
oil on paint

Well they did have a chrome plated one listed , I think it was for a fertin harly cause the show !!! ( same filter ) I never seen a not painted oil filter have you ? ,,,,,,, joe

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The last oem Mahle OC91 filter I got came with a silvery finish which wasn't paint.There is another 'equivalent' Mahle filter for cars which is the same can size as the OC91 but it's painted black. I guess OC91 is the BMW spec. 'we know best' filter.

Our bikes are unusual in having the filter can sitting in the sump surrounded by the oil bath rather than screw on from the outside.

I don't know how good the paint is they put on filters. Has anybody used painted filters and found the paint peeled on their next oil change? If they are painting a filter can just for cosmetics and to stop surface rusting when normally fitted externally, I can't see them doing a full spec. quality prime etch and finish paint that will cycle regularly to 130 degrees C or more and stay on.

If you dip the can in Nitromors and the paint comes off easily, it's a cheap paint job and you probably saved yourself a bearing seizure by dipping it first. If it takes ages to work, then it's probably a polyester or epoxy paint which might be ok.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
123 Posts
voxmagna said:
Has anybody used painted filters and found the paint peeled on their next oil change?
No. I use painted filters all the time. I use the Bosch 3330 painted black. The Bosch 72161 sold by Beemer Boneyard and Bobs is also painted. I peel the sticker off my 3330 before installing.

It would have to be some seriously cheap paint to come off with motor oil and heat. Motor oil is not a solvent and would not soften or remove paint by itself.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've had a couple pieces of painted oil filter metal in the bottom of my parts cleaner for close to 6 months, paint is still intact. :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I vaguely recall seeing a filter with paint peeling off it, but that was back in the 1950's.

regards,
Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts